News USSCA President - Letter of Explanation

ClintonEdwards

Sunfish North American Championship dates are June 14-17, 2007 hosted by Fairhope Yacht Club in Fairhope, AL. The Junior North American Championship will be held one weekend in July and hosted in the Midwest-New York-Mid-Atlantic Region.

Why? Brandt Beach was scheduled to host the 2007 NAs/Jr NAs. In the fall of ‘06, ISCA asked USSCA if Brandt Beach could host the 2007 Worlds. A host site needs to be selected due to production of world boats (timing constraint). USSCA agreed. Now USSCA is scrambling to find a host site for NAs/Jr NAs. Fairhope Yacht Club (FYC) was selected by me with much discussion amongst the Board. This same scenario happened in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina destroyed the club and town that were to host the Women’s North American Championship.

Please remember that are championships, national and regional, are ladder events used to qualify for the Worlds. If Worlds were not sailed, how many of us would not participate at the national and regional level. It would also affect our status in ISAF.

As for the Junior NAs, it is always discussed at meetings about splitting up the two events. Well, this year we are going to try it. Participation has fallen from thirty-five to seven in just a few years. The Jr NAs will be in the month of July when all students across the country are on summer vacation. Please note that New York schools end the school year in late June and southern schools start in early August. This plan was discussed between the Regatta Chair, Junior Coordinator and me and approved.

Please note that I regularly read the SunfishForum and subscribe to the Sunfish Listserve. I do take into consideration what I read; however, I may not always respond to each item I read. Know that I am taking your suggestions/information under advisement and thank you for your contributions.

Please Class Members…be productive and get a junior interested in our sport by taking him/her with on your next outing.

Clinton Edwards
USSCA President

What a confusing story. I hardly know where to start in trying to understand the conflicting accounts posted here of what has been going on.

So I'll stick to something simple. The site of the Worlds is not Brandt Beach. It is Brant Beach. This community on Long Beach Island, New Jersey was named after the Brant Goose not a German politician. I'm sure our hosts will appreciate it if we spell their name correctly. At the very least we could try and get that right.

Geezer....

This will be easy to understand......

2008 NA's.....Erie......July.....you be there!

I offer a bottle of rum for your attendance. You must claim it in person and pose for a photo with me:D .

At $4,000 per gallon, I don't think so.

Perhaps a nice bottle of Mount Gay. After all, they are big time supporters of our sport.

Can't say I have any regatta wear that has BRNI on it.

Perhaps consider the cheap rum and your atendance a donation. Think of all the extra peeps that would attend just to see who you really are. You would be doing your class a service. Perhaps bring foggy with you too.

Back