Using a Sunfish Bailer on a Different Boat

ponzomoon

I am thinking about installing a Sunfish bailer on a Chrysler Dagger. For those not familiar, it's a 14' fiberglass planing-hull dinghy bulit in the 70's. The hull looks similar to a Laser, except with a larger cockpit.

I've read a bit about the pros and cons of the Sunfish bailer, and know that some might recommend the tried and true bucket and sponge as an alternative. Unfortunately the Dagger's roomy cockpit can take in a generous amount of water, making a self-bailer seem like a very attractive option. I considered a Laser bailer, but the Sunfish version looks easier to install.

I'll be grateful for opinions, ideas, and words of caution or encouragement from anyone who has experience with Sunfish bailers on boats other than Sunfish. If there's a better option I'd be happy to hear about it. Also, does anyone find the bailer sticking out of the bottom to be troublesome when loading or unloading the boat from a trailer, or when beaching?

Many thanks.

I am thinking about installing a Sunfish bailer on a Chrysler Dagger.
I don't know the anatomy of the Dagger hull. For a Sunfish, the cockpit tub sits on and is fiberglassed to the hull bottom at the bailer installation point. The thickness between the two will be something you will need to determine for your application.

As they say, "If it fits, it ships"..., or unships in your case.

I found the bailer to be a nuisance, it gets snagged when loading on a trailer and takes a beating on the beach. Eventually, after many loadings, beachings it began to leak, and at some point the two metal pins that retain the plastic ball had gone south as had the ball itself. Solution......... remove bailer, neatly fill in the hole with Marine-Tex. No problem since, and the bleach bottle bailer works just fine.

I have been planning the fall up-grades to my Man-O-War in exactly this fashion. The original bailer from Chrysler was an attrocious design & lets in more than it lets out. I have sealed it up with a marine caulk & plan to replace it with a Sunfish bailer.

The hull on the Chrysler is one thick bit 'o fibreglass at this point and may need a bit of shimming & trimming for a good fit... I would welcome your experience (and a few photos) if you get around to re-doing the Dagger :rolleyes:

I found the bailer to be a nuisance,

Yup, me too. ;)

First, I bought all the parts to restore my old bailer. Then I looked at it again, and went to a hardware store and bought a replacement plastic gasoline-can cap that was a good fit. I taped it over with duct tape and stuck it on the outside of the hull, and have sailed two seasons that way.

Periodic trimming of the leading edge of the tape has been the only maintenance. :p

Back