Uses for a dead Sunfish

Alan Glos

About 20 years ago, a humorous book called 101 Uses for a Dead Cat was all the rage, and it got me to thinking*

In the past 20 years, I have owned 8 or 10 basket case Sunfish hulls that I have had to dispose of. Our local landfill will take a Sunfish hull for a $15 tipping fee, but I have found that I can post a "Free sailboat hull" ad on the local Craigslist and somebody usually takes it off my hands for free. One guy wanted the hull for a floating duck blind and another converted the hull into a duck hunting sneak box. There must be other uses: I'll start and you readers can add to the list. Photos earn bonus points.

#1 Duck blind
#2 Duck hunting sneak box
#3 Large flower planter
#4 Kid's sandbox
#5......
#6.....

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

*No hate mail about the dead cat reference - I own three cats (but the book was funny!)

Outdoor bar.

Use the mast well as stand for a large umbrella.
Use the cockpit as a cooler or a sink.
It even has a built-in drain. A little PVC plumbing work, and presto...

I've saved the deck/cockpit of a mid-70's boat for that purpose. Maybe someday...

Outdoor bar.

Use the mast well as stand for a large umbrella.
Use the cockpit as a cooler or a sink.
It even has a built-in drain. A little PVC plumbing work, and presto...

I've saved the deck/cockpit of a mid-70's boat for that purpose. Maybe someday...

Indian Harbor Yacht Club in Greenwich, CT has an outdoor bar that is made exactly as Rick describes. It is a really neat bar - perfect for a yacht club.

They also have several Sunfish planters. Sadly, I do not think anyone actually sails Sunfish at the club anymore. I guess we know what happened to all the boats!

Indian Harbor Yacht Club in Greenwich, CT has an outdoor bar that is made exactly as Rick describes. It is a really neat bar - perfect for a yacht club.

They also have several Sunfish planters. Sadly, I do not think anyone actually sails Sunfish at the club anymore. I guess we know what happened to all the boats!

I was sure someone had already done it. I might check that out next month.

Every once in a while, a photo appears in the local newspaper here - a downtown vacant lot turned into a garden - and right in the middle is a Sunfish planter, yellow deck, white stripes. A good bet that backyard planters are the most popular resting place for dead 'fish.

Heck, about 3 years ago I brought a dead "planter 'fish" back to life. It wasn't really dead, just lonely. Turned out to be in excellent condition. I see it out on the water occasionally. Does my heart good.

Here's another one - rowboat.
There might be a picture of this somewhere in the Sunfish Bible.

I have to report that I saw a group of Sunfish around IHYC a month ago. Looked more like a junior sailing class than racing, though.

Grr...a dead Sunfish is much to nice to give as a BP annual bonus!

Besides, silly cats have only 9 lives, but most Sunfish will have twice that many!

That's it..portable, floating oiled pelican cleaning station with Dawn liquid dispenser in the mast step..

I think an old fish would make a great coffee table or dining room table under glass.

Actually, with that swept back rudder and fairly flat bottom a Sunfish would make a screamin' fast toboggan.

My friend Brian designed and built that Sunfish Bar for IHYC. I've always wanted to build one like it.

My friend Jerry uses his for a cactus garden.It's been growing beautifully for 15 plus years,even though the trailer's got it listing.I'll get a pic.

I open the cockpit and put a combing from the back of the mast hole to 2 ft of the stern after rounding the bow and stern replaced the daggerboard with a seat, put on a small keel onthe stern bottom, a set of oar locks high enough for clearance and with a set of spoon oars you will fly over the water. I guarentee it.

Here is another use for a dead 'fish. I acquired a 1970 hull with leaks and waterlogged foam (220 lbs in total - 90 lbs or 11 gal. of water overweight.) I advertised it "free" on the local Craigslist and a local artist took it for an on-the-water art project she is doing in Nova Scotia in September. Old 'fish got culture afterall!

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Found it.....here is a photo of a Sailfish that has been drilled thru for the steering components to make up this version of an Sailfish Iceboat (Icefish ?). Odd, but I have seen it on a tack it in a posted video on one of the iceboat forums.

Attachments

• Sailfish_on_ice.jpg
    Sailfish_on_ice.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 56

Back