User Poll.....sunfish wearables

Would you be interested in sunfish shirts, sweatshirts, etc?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Depends on the graphics, styles available

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No definitely not

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • You are wasting your time

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's see if there's any interest in making sunfish wearables.....basically this would be for long and short sleeve tee shirts and sweatshirts with some kind of cool bold sunfish logo on them.

I would have to check and see if we are allowed to use the logo or if big brother will put an end to our dreams....

THIS POLL WILL CLOSE IN 30 DAYS SO VOTE NOW.

Great idea, it looks like most are in favour, and those that indicated your wasting your time will probably order gear if it becomes available. I will be interested to see whether the trademark holder is agreeable, and under what terms. Hey, all they can do is say "no" Good luck.

There's been a lot more views than votes........

I emailed Vanguard to inquire about the use of the logo

For those that say we are wasting our time, what is the reason for your vote? Do you know something we don't?

I am in favor of a T-shirt, sweat shirt, polo or jacket with the basic SF logo (the fish or fish with the word Sunfish) and not the "splash" in yellow and purple design used by the last supplier, it did nothing for me. I do have a Vanguard logo t-shirt instead.

Team Foxy http://www.teamfoxy.com/ does do custom embroidery on a variety items (including customer provided items) and have a sailing Sunfish in their files already (see the hats on their web page). You can have your boats name and sail number added as well. After talking with John at Team Foxy, the “Fish” logo and the word “Sunfish” are Vanguard trademarks and can not be used on an individual basis. They can do the SF logo and word on a limited basis for major events like the mid-winters, but that item (the midwinters shirt) can only be obtained at the event. I am not a lawyer, so I can not speak about trade/copy right laws and such.

Here's my response from Vanguard on the logo..........

Tim,
The Sunfish logo is a registered trademark and has many restrictions.
This does not mean you can not use the logo however any tee shirt created
can not be sold. So you can not collect a fee for the production of the
shirt. Secondly, we would like to view the design of the shirt with the use
of the logo before you have it created. This is just to assure us that the
logo is being used properly and then there is no trouble after the fact that
you could get into (since we are aware they were made).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards
Julie

Marketing Associate
Vanguard Sailboats
300 Highpoint Ave
Portsmouth, RI. 02871
401-683-0960

SO we are probably OK to go, as long as nobody makes any money on it and it is tasteful.

"you cannot collect a fee for the production of the shirt" Vanguard needs to define "fee", do they mean profit, or simply covering costs? Hopefully they mean profit only. Sounds good though, better than a flat out "NO"

Hi Tom
I believe they mean you can't charge. Sometimes, as you know, at regattas a shirt is part of the registration fee.
I like your idea about shipping-
Herb

Were up to 23 positives so far.

That's probably enough to make a run??? As you know the setup is a good portion of the deal.

How about you make a design, post it here and we send in the shirts with SASE for return? I don't know how you will recoup printing/imaging cost.

Perhaps we should open this up to all the forum members for design submissions, and we can vote on which we would like to see put into production (and have them approved by Vanguard). Set a deadline by which the designs need to be submitted, and see what comes in. Maybe Bradley would like to have a design for this forum, which could be used not only on the site but on shirts as well. Who knows how clever we can all be?

It would make sense for Vanguard to be cooperative since the shirts will help sales and Vanguard itself is not interested in marketing apparel (too small a profit).

OK, We said we'd run this poll for 30 days and tomorrow will end it. The score is now 35 to 4 in favor. So this winter's project is to come up with some art for Tees and sweatshirts. I'll see what I can work up. If anyone has any major contributions to make, lemme know. I will post this winter with graphics that we can vote for.

Back