News US Masters results

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
For such a big bay this place sure is shifty. The wind has been wonderful. Plenty of it but nobody, except that one guy who tried one race, wasn't up to it, and quit, seems to be overpowered or suffering.
Both fleets have seen tons of lead changes, diferent winners, backenders in the front and leaders in the back.

The beer is clod, the kids help us with the dollies, the dinner was quite good, the sun is testing our very best sunscreens.

Can't bea this.

here's a link to the results that probably will still work after results are updated again Sunday..

If it fails Sunday...go to Regattanetwork.com and look for the results there.

This oughta work

So....The event is over. 10 great races...especially nice weather...especially lovely town...
This was the sort of event that makes regattas worthwhile rips...even long trips like ours from Texas.

The racing was held in a lot of current that happened to be going against the breeze.
The tricky part...that I am not certain I ever understood altogether or got right...was the course was set between the confluence of two rivers.

There was a reasonably large shoal about 1/4 of the way up the course which was upwind of the boat end of the line.
Sailing around the shoal would have been easy if we knew exactly where it was and it would have been easier to simply give it a wide berth if it were not for the fact the right side of the top end of the course had the very most obviously favored current.

Suffice it to say, having the first name Peter seemed to be the key.

Thanks Gouvernail for explaining (?) the facts of life regarding sailing in Charleston harbor. No wonder I ended up so poorly when the results were posted :eek:. I never did figure out what you were writing about :confused:. As a newbie, my goal is not to hit the water more than once per race...

But seriously, this was a very well organized regatta with the weather in a super cooperative mood. Around 15 knots most of the time under sunny skies; just right for the more mature crowd (35 to well over 65).
The RC got the races off in a timely manner, most with the 'around the end rule' in effect. A nice long starting line that appeared pretty square to me. Seriously long (five leg) races (for me at least) lasting about one hour, although we did do a few three leggers as well. And that windward mark was so eager to kiss our hulls. Four races on the first two days and two to finish up on Sunday.

The setting was a posh yacht club (three buildings on the waterfront in prime real estate Charleston). Clearly, a lot of thought had gone into getting almost one hundred dinghies in and out of the water in a timely manner and the social events were certainly most pleasant.

Thanks to all!

:) :) :)

Peter Wavedancer

Figured it out?? way too generous.

Beaten into my head may be more appropriate.

At the start of the first race I hung my centerboard over the pin end boat's anchor rode and I was sliding over it so hard I could not lift the centerboard until I stood up and used both hands.

Then the rudder caught.

After teh race the pin bopat residents told me I finally re-rounded and crossed the line 1 minute and 20 seconds behind the fleet.

Talk about a humbling beginning.

Also, BOTH times I managed to round the first mark in the top ten I hit that weather mark.

I never figured out why we all kept hitting that weather mark. We were all hitting the weather side of it and tehe current was pushing us upwind. Shouldn't that make it dang near impossible to hit the weather mark??

While we were unloading our boats back at home Scott Young and I agreed we might love Charleston if we got to sail there a hundred times. The current ads a new dimention to the game.

Unfortunatly, for everybody but Peter Vessella it added a new level of confusion.

I probably prospered because in life I am always a tad confused and therefore more prepared than the average Joe to do something like race sailboats while confused, .

Back