US 07 Trials Reports/results

Got my 15 seconds of glory today first beat of second race. The wind had been going right all morning but there was a big lefty before the start so I started on port, ducked a few sterns and took the lifted tack off to the right with clear air. After awhile I got my header and came back in on starboard to find myself right next to Anna Tunicliffe on port, who tacked below me and was fixing to pinch me off when I tacked away. It was fun rounding not too far behind them; I lost some boats coming in on final approach to the mark on starboard when the people on port got a nice lift and ended up rounding in 8th, my best so far. Lost ground offwind for the rest of the race as it was medium wind, flat water and I'm kinda big for a radial. Finished 12th. Having a really good time, which is all that ultimately matters. Hey, I could be at work!

PS. I'll look for you vtgent49 this weekend!

I was invited to RC for Thurs-Sat, and thus got to be Mark1, the first weather mark. One day the boat was run by Peter "Luigi" Reggio, who was the PRO for the ACup. Lots to learn about doing RC at this level.

The entire 8-9 day regatta was an ultra-marathon for racers and RC alike. The Fall weather brought strong WNW and NW breeze, but that continually fought the SSW sea breeze, to produce random shifts and pressure variations. On Friday, add in 8 foot seas, from the SW, not quite aligned to the breeze.

Anna sailed like a true No. 1, safe, controlled, and fast, especially downwind. She and Paige had 3rds for throwouts, so didn't need to sail the last race. Sarah Lihan (Yale '10) was in control during the heaviest air races, and is a very strong sailor.

Andrew and Brad fought it out every second of the 9 day series. The men's fleet was deep, with Clay Johnson, Trevor Moore (from VT!), John Pierce, Emery Wager, and many others right in there, ready to pass when these two made a mistake. Fred Strammer (Brown '11) had two bulletts and a 2nd, just as an example of the depth of this fleet. Look at the men's score, and you'll see the top boats with 7's and 9's as keepers!

Brad has a good write-up on his blog. It's hard to find much else, and his description of the final day match racing is great.
http://www.funksailing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=1

There is no question in my mind, that Anna, Paige, Sarah, Brad, Fred Strammer, and Andrew all excel at the downwind stuff. This was, at times, tough sailing, with big, crooked waves, and breeze. They zig-zag all over the place, and catch even the smallest waves. Almost everyone capsized at least once. And they keep their heads together over a very long series. There is no question in my mind, that US College sailing is at the highest level, as right behind them were college freshman, and sophmores.

They are all nice people too, at this level. I've enjoyed meeting them all at The Nats and the Trials. Congrats to them all, as well as to the proud parents.

TLF's Michelle, and Cedar Point's Marc Jacobi deserve mention, as the top Masters, both scoring mid-fleet at this level. Serious sailing.

Al

I just read the final report by Brad Funk. How refreshing it was to read a report that didn't complain about the outcome and was willing to post in the bad times as well as the good.

Brad, well done, you have restored my faith in sportsmanship. Good luck next time.

Back