Upwind Problem - Strong wind, Choppy Water

nickbrad39

Got in from sailing today and need some advice. Wind was 20+ with tight choppy waves (3' deep, 5 - 6' apart). Going upwind, had problems keeping the boat moving. Tried to,

• Weight shifting forward and back and nosing up into crest and away after as I went up and down waves - kept submarining the bow into the next wave (cockpit filled up with water and slow to drain).
  • Kept weight back to allow the bow to stay lifted on waves - cockpit stayed dry but boat was hobby horsing along.
  • Tried to foot down to approach waves at better angle - felt like I had to foot too far to overcome the tightness of the wave period
I'd like to get some advice as too which method you guys think works best - I liked having my weight back, except it felt pretty slow to have the bow freely lifting.

Anyway, I need some help as I find I am slow in this condition (wind and tight chop, upwind)

Thanks

As you approach the wave, and it helps to have a bit of leeward heel, luff slightly and lean as far back in the boat as possible and sheet all the way in. As the bow just goes through the crest of the wave, pull on the tiller, let some mainsheet out and lean forwards, but watch out for rule 42 on that one. Look at the Rooster Boat Whisperer DVD's to see why.

Back