Upgrading my down haul, out haul and kicker

So in this sailing season coming up I’m going to start learning how to race. And I understand that I only have a basic down haul out haul and kicker. Is it an essential thing to upgrade and if so what is the cheapest way of doing it.

Hi Will, if you have a 1989 boat with typical 1989 control systems and you want to race at least semi-seriously, then it actually is upgrade time, as actual blocks and appropriate purchase ratios make the boat nicer to sail (and you can concentrate more on steering/tactics/etc). There are really no "cheap" (only "less expensive" :D ) ways to do it, but you don't have to do it all at once. You might want to post a few pictures of your current systems so we know where to start.

There are many providers in your area that sell complete upgrade packages, but there may be smarter ways to approach this. Do you have a budget in mind?

_

I was thinking of buying a booster pack there is one which costs £140 and has downhaul and outhaul upgraded or there’s a £300 one which includes a kicker as well.

Oh? Who’s selling those? Can you post a link?
(I looked at a few of the ”usual suspects”, but they offer fewer choices compared to years past. Maybe most updatable boats have been already updated :confused: )

_

Ok, thanks. So that's Holt selling their stuff through eBay.
Quick evaluation: do NOT waste your money on those. The deck plates and the vang cleating fitting are illegal, and the latter is absolutely awful in itself (sharp edges and rusting fasteners).
I'll take a closer look (tomorrow) at what's available in your market. Meanwhile, it would be nice if you posted pictures of what your boat has at the moment, to see if a minimal, step-by-step process would be the smartest (the least expensive) way to proceed.

_

these at the pictures of the current Vang and down haul I have, the Down haul is just tied between the vang tang and the vang and the line is goes through the grommet and down and to the cleat.
308B4A67-E884-43EA-B0C6-1492DDCE342E.png

A27C4245-2D0E-4D2D-B4C7-1CFA9E6565DC.jpeg

the blue line runs to the cleat on the boom

Ok... so you have a total 1970s setup, except for the clew. I was thinking that you might already have many pieces of equipment which you could use in the upgraded systems, but it looks like only the boom key block, outhaul block, and the cunningham line (and maybe the outhaul line, too) are of reusable quality or length.

I see Kim sent you pictures of his rather smart minimal-level upgrades. You might consider something similar as a first step. But if you're really going to start a racing career, then bringing the outhaul to the deck and getting a new vang cleating fitting right away would make sense. Just be prepared to spend a considerable fraction of your complete boat's resale value.

(I'm still looking for good deals in your country... so far the least expensive vang cleating fitting has been GBP 125.)

_

I am prepared to pay the money, I now realise that it’s worth it. I just want to make sure that it’s the best quality and price that I can get. Thank you for the help, every reply I get I feel I’m closer to success.

Back