Upgrade Rigging

Jeff Gallo

Hello i was wondering what the new and old rigging systems are on a laser and the differences between them. Also if i have a laser with old rigging can i upgrade it to the new rigging.
thanks in advance.

The main differences in new rigging vs. old rigging are the purchases and end of the control lines. On the old style, the outhaul was on the boom, and the purchase systems on the cunningham and vang required some extra strength to adjust. The new systems lead all of the control lines to the cockpit and also have better purchase systems for easier adjustment.

Many older boats are upgraded to the new systems, as the mounting positions are all the same as what you already have if you own an older boat.

You are probably looking at around $400, maybe more, to buy class legal equipment. If you search around you will find some places with sales. You could also talk to local people who may have spare bits and pieces you could buy.

My opinion on order of importance would be vang, then the outhaul/cunningham. Make your decision based on what you have the most difficulty adjusting.

Complete kits from APS are 325+285 = 610 dollars.
XD Power Pack Cunn/Outhaul Kit - Harken
XD Vang Kit- Harken

Of course, you don't have to go all the way. The simplest upgrade would be to attach blocks to the rope loops on the pre-2001 rules systems, which would cost less than a hundred dollars. And then there's everything in between.

The only fundamental difference between the old and new rules is that the outhaul may be cleated on the deck now. If you want that, you need the deck plates with attached fittings, which alone cost almost 200 dollars.

If you do get the new vang, you should get the sleeve that goes inside the boom for extra strength. I think it cost 35 dollars.

With respect, my opinion is that the boom sleeve is a worthwhile investment.
Usually after you upgrade, you use the additional purchase to pull the boom down harder. The only situation in which the force on the boom with the new vang would be the same as with the old vang, is if you pulled only 1/5th as hard on the tail of the new one, as you used to pull on the old one. Conversely, if you pull on the tail of the new one with the same force as you pulled on the old one, the new vang exerts 5 times more force on the boom. You can pull more or less hard on the tail, but the physics of a 15:1 is pretty straightforward.

My own experience with upgrading my old boat- At first, I didn't put the sleeve in. The first time I went out, I was real happy with the new ability to trim the vang under load, but I immediately saw that the boom was bending much more, and enough that I was very concerned about it failing. I eased it off, and ordered + installed the sleeve. Mine didn't break but I recall reading about enuf others that broke, that I was watching it. I think they starting installing that sleeve into boats somewhere in the early 90's, but maybe somebody else knows with more certainty than I do.

Also if you only sail recreationally you have the option of non-class legal parts, which allows you to upgrade for very much less money. I sail recreational only and I bought a couple micro blocks and lashed them to the side of the existing vang jam cleat, + got a double becket for the other end. It created a 5:1 pulling on the tail of the old 3:1 for a total of 15:1. Intensity has a (non-class) vang swivel anchor that helps a lot. It works fine. I don't remember the cost but it was way less than the kit. I did a similar thing with microblocks for the outhaul/cunningham + have been real happy with all of it.

Last edited:
here's my vang upgrade
vang 1.jpg
vang mast block 1.jpg
vang mast block 2.jpg

With respect, my opinion is that the boom sleeve is a worthwhile investment.
Compared with no sleeve at all, yes of course. The original boom section wasn't meant to take any upwind vang loads. People started vang sheeting in the early 1980s, and the reinforcement was introduced a few years later.

The only situation in which the force on the boom with the new vang would be the same as with the old vang, is if you pulled only 1/5th as hard on the tail of the new one, as you used to pull on the old one. Conversely, if you pull on the tail of the new one with the same force as you pulled on the old one, the new vang exerts 5 times more force on the boom. You can pull more or less hard on the tail, but the physics of a 15:1 is pretty straightforward
This has been talked about before, and I still think this is a misunderstanding of the mechanics involved. You're mixing static and dynamic loads here. Same spars + same sail + same twist in the same conditions = same static loads. Reaching those same loads is easier with more purchase in the control systems, but the end result is the same. (Also, what most Lasers had in 2001 was an 8:1 vang, so going to 15:1 isn't a 5x improvement.)

I think they starting installing that sleeve into boats somewhere in the early 90's, but maybe somebody else knows with more certainty than I do.
There are two different lengths. A 75 cm sleeve was standard by 1990, latest. This was changed to a 90 cm one around 1997.

Intensity has a (non-class) vang swivel anchor that helps a lot.
Any and all swivels are legal.

here's my vang upgrade
Very cool. I did something similar to a club boat a few years back, with adding just two single blocks and one length of rope you had a very nice 12:1.

Hello i was wondering what the new and old rigging systems are on a laser and the differences between them. Also if i have a laser with old rigging can i upgrade it to the new rigging.
thanks in advance.

you plan on competitively racing dont you? boats that dont have the updated rigging are kinda old. rigging was updated in 95 right? have you found a boat or still looking?

at orange bowl 2016 the 1st place sailor in radials finished ahead my 20 points sails a 93. but his hull has been garage kept since like 94. my 2008 is still competitive but i have cracks along the daggerboard trunk and the mast step is worn more to the port side. these boats wear fast

Back