upgrade outhaul

Cage

As a recreational Laser sailor, how important do you think the redesigned outhaul is? The new vang is great and the cunningham is good too but I don't see making many adjustments with the outhaul. Remember, recreational sailor, not a racer. Also, on my 2004 Laser, near the pin for holding in the tiller, I have a small (approx. 1/2" dia.) circular metal wire piece attached to the tiller by a thin black line. I have no idea what it is.

The small ring on the black line on the rudder is a rudder safety holding ring that goes through a hole in the pintle and is designed to keep the rudder head from accidentally sliding out. I almost forgot it is on there standard, since i never use it since it's redundant to the function of the spring clip that holds the rudder down in the gudgeons. (One less thing to think about rigging that's uneccessary.)

If you do choose to upgrade the outhaul system, you can buy the parts and rig one yourself cheaper than buying it already packaged. The ease of pulling on more outhall with the extra purchase is nice.

Back