Up wind ouhaul setting (Radial Rig) HELP!

JuanCH

Hi there, I`ve just received my copy of Goodison`s Laser Handbook and he says that when sailing up wind (beating - light wind) the outhaul should be set 20 cm from boom to sail. I've read somewhere else that in this condition the sail should be flatter to keep laminar flow. Any thoughts on that Radial Sailors?:eek:

I read the same thing in Paul Goodison's book and my thoughts were the same - 20cm seems a bit full for light wind. I use a standard rig but he also states 20cm for this too. I also have Ben Ainslie's "Laser campaign manual" where he specifies the same setting as Paul Goodison, but he does make a note that if the wind is very light (under 4 knots) and the water is flat then tighten the outhaul. He doesn't say by how much, probably because it will vary with wind and water conditions. Hope that helps.

What you have to remember with sailing is that there is no set answer. What works for one person might not for another. Best bet is just to take on as many tips as you can get and go and try them - see what works for you.

also chop is a factor
as a rule of thumb I sail my rig flat in flat water/light air, and fuller in chop/light air, and follow this rule in most breezes until I need to depower

If it is a 'light air' then probably only part of your sail above the logo will be working so trim the foot flat for least drag (balancing effects on best shape for the tiny part of the sail at the masthead that is still actually working) - if you are unlucky enough to exerience light air and left over chop you need to get creative and consider the 'natural kinetics'.

If it is 'light breeze' (actually turbulent mixing so velocity at deck is closer to that at the masthead) you can maybe trim the foot a bit deeper but twist is likely to be king here.

The areodynamics of the sail is what they're talking about as far as 20cm of air flow. Remember, the sail works on lift, much like an airplane wing. By having a bit fuller foot of the sail you have an increased low pressure zone, thus making the air move quicker. HOWEVER... it will also compromise your pointing angle. So you'll go faster with 20 cm of downhaul, but you wont point as high. This is usually good for about 5-10 knts of breeze. Much more than that and I tighten it down for a better pointing angle.

ah... the olde brain teaser of sailing.... pointing angle vs. hullspeed.... :D:p

While we're on about outhaul tension, this is slightly different but....

In the March '09 issue of Y&Y, (page 42) they mention that Tom Slingsby uses a lot more outhaul,and less vang, than anyone else upwind when its blowing, and "planes" upwind.

Has anyone here ever sailed against him or seen him in action? I've found a tiny bit of footage on youtube, but nothing I can really analyse. Whatever he's doing obviously works, as Quindao aside, he seems almost unbeatable. especially in a breeze.

While we're on about outhaul tension, this is slightly different but....

In the March '09 issue of Y&Y, (page 42) they mention that Tom Slingsby uses a lot more outhaul,and less vang, than anyone else upwind when its blowing, and "planes" upwind.

Has anyone here ever sailed against him or seen him in action? I've found a tiny bit of footage on youtube, but nothing I can really analyse. Whatever he's doing obviously works, as Quindao aside, he seems almost unbeatable. especially in a breeze.

Not uncommon and can be done. Need the right conditions. I've done it before and if not done right its slooow. Helps if there are waves going uphill.

Madyottie,

There seems to be a weird situation with a radial, in severely gusting strong winds and relatively flat wate, where you can obtain some some amazing returns of stability and speed from a 'steer for ballance' technique upwind (still low in the groove not pinching). This should not be possible under about 7kts hull speed - but it seems to work and get better after two or three successive gust parries (seems like you are on trapeze - which is great if you ate 68Kg but well under 6 ft)

Outhaul setting is not extreme (just tight enough so the foot doesn't 'flap') It is around the flap/non flap setting that seems to work best.

Back