Unstayed Sailboats

James W.

Can someone please tell me some other types of unstayed sailboats (that have a tube for stepping the mast) besides Sunfish, Laser or Force 5 ?? Maybe one that can fit 3-4 comfortably- if possible ??

Thanks
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please tell me some other types of unstayed sailboats (that have a tube for stepping the mast) besides Sunfish, Laser or Force 5 ?? Maybe one that can fit 3-4 comfortably- if possible ??

Thanks
James

You are in luck! There is an Italian builder, Navi Perini, that successfully built a 289' sailboat with unstayed masts. And talk about 'fitting 3-4 comfortably'! So, it's at least possible. I assume that like me you may not yet amassed a Tom Perkins sailing budget, however.

While they are technically not entirely 'unstayed', one of the boats that I would love to own and that I think Sunfish owners could appreciate is the Marshall 18 (Sanderling). These boats have kind of a special following in the Northeast, with an active and loyal class and weekend events in the season. They not only can take four comfortably and are trailerable, but they are accorded a bit of respect in some harbors. The bad news is that used prices reflect this.

If you are talking one adult and two younger kids, I'd really consider the unloved Force 5. If the kids are small enough to sit forward of the traveller, they will love it. And Force 5s can be picked up for the price of a Sunfish (or less).

There is a larger version of the Sunfish called a Big Fish that can handle several adults. Google "Big Fish" and check it out.

I agree that the Force 5 might be ideal (and I have one or sale for $900 here in Central NY near Syracuse, NY).

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks Guys !!!! LOL!!!! Minifish2, I wish I could get one of those 289 footers !!!! :)
Thanks for all the input guys. I don't know if you remember me from earlier posts, but I'm the
goof that has the "FrankenHack" boat. It's a Force 5- with all F5 rigging and I have Sunfish
rigging for it too- minor tweaks and it all works and interchanges perfectly. I'm gonna create a new
one-design class called the Frankestein Class Assoc. Another very cool boat that will hold me and my
3 small kids is a Barnett 1400. An obscure little animal but a very cool boat- looks alot like F5 but HUGE
cockpit- and actual cockpit- not a tiny foot well. I've posted pics of "Franky"- F5 hull with Sunfish rigging.
Everything lines up perfectly except mast step tube on F5 is a little deeper (insignificant- still plenty
of head room) and the step is a tad wider too. I found some small eighth in. thick plastic sheeting in
art supplies shop (8.5 x 11) that was easy to wrap around the bottom of mast to stop unwanted wobble.
Works very nicely. In a blow, if I'm lazy and/or my discs are acting up (lower back), I can easily, and I
mean EASILY put on the Sunfish rigging- and very quickly too.

Attachments

• Frank_1.jpg
    Frank_1.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Frank_2.jpg
    Frank_2.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 44
...sail & booms, Craigslist, local, $100. Sail still crisp- unbelievable !!
mast, also local Craigslist, $100- again, I got very lucky.

James

Back