Unique Sunfish mast/sail setup?

tag

my2fish
1619027102720.png

what kind of sail setup is this? found on FB marketplace. (only $75 for the boat and sail....)

not sure - I'm wondering if that extra boom laying there is for the foot of the sail?

I get the impression that those are parts from different boats just thrown together to make it a "complete" boat to sell. The tiller looks like it's from a Zuma, for instance. The mast definitely won't fit into a Sunfish mast step.

I can't open the ad. Does it say anything informative?

_

That looks like the old Laser cat rig step up with a loose fitted sail. Interesting that there is no gooseneck, bridle or vang with the setup. Maybe they hadn't figured it all out. Very interesting.

Believe that is a windsurfer sail with standard boom thrown in. While the rudder will attach to the boat, the tiller will not likely work - will interfere with bridle. Who knows where that little daggerboard came from.

It's not a windsurfer mast because there's that big deck collar.

I actually think I know the boat where it's from... just can't remember the name now :oops: It didn't have a gooseneck, but the boom curved at the front down to the deck behind the mast step. You could reef the sail like that around the mast on the water. Does anyone have a clearer memory of something like that? 1980s?

(Needless to say, none the parts in the picture are probably compatible with one another in any way.)

_

Last edited:
It's not a windsurfer mast because there's that big deck collar.

I actually think I know the boat where it's from... just can't remember the name now :oops: It didn't have a gooseneck, but the boom curved at the front down to the deck behind the mast step.
oYou could reef the sail like that around the mast on the water. Does anyone have a clearer memory of something like that? 1980s?
_
An Escape?

I think Fiberspar made windsurfing masts - I figured someone added a few items.

if anyone is thinking of buying this contraption they should insist on seeing it rigged first!

According to FB it's been sold! Too bad, I'd like to have seen it in person just to check it out. I suspect that it will find it's way back to FB Marketplace again, either together or parted out! :):)

Reactions: tag
The Catalina 12.5 was a Zuma hull with a Gary Hoyt Escape style rig. The rudder is the shape that was used on the Escapes and perhaps the Catalina as well which used the Sunfish plastic rudder head. Curved tiller like the Zuma had.

the tiller and sail definitely look just like the Catalina 12.5, but without the curved boom.

it seems someone picked up this find for $75 or less, maybe it all somehow works as a unit?
or maybe (more likely?) the seller just threw a bunch of parts together hoping to get rid of them as a "package deal" to an unsuspecting buyer.

Back