Unfortunate Learning Video

Okay, so if you remember Skipper had a vertebrae compression fracture back in March. After months of rehab she was feeling brave enough to Float Test the new Nutshell we built, but nervous about moving around in the pram. So combine that with trying out a new to us boat, and I managed to shove her off without clipping the sheet to the bridle. Then got photo evidence of my oversight.

9D8ABF0C-3943-48C8-9058-D9B1B66C6EE2.jpeg

She noticed that something wasn't right but the boat sailed okay in the light breeze and got her back to the beach. Later I fessed up :)

It not like there is not a bunch of good videos on how to do it right.

Hey Friends,

We sailed Lake Norman this weekend and I encountered a couple moments where I did not understand what the boat was doing and how I should respond. I thought, I need some finer instruction now that we've been sailing and erring unaided for almost two years.

Where would you point a novice to good instructional videos, so I don't have to search then suffer?

Larry

YouTube is the place. You’ll need to see if you can identify the problems you had in good enough nautical terminology to find a match on YouTube. For example, getting stuck head to wind is called being “in irons”.

Lake Norman YC is very active Joining the club would but you in touch with lots of sailors who could help you out.

Beldar is correct. Go to the club and talk to people. Sunfish sailors are very helpful on general questions and setups. One thing that helps is a wind indicator. When tacking up wind you need to have speed before tacking, and during the tack or you will get stuck in irons.

Okay, so if you remember Skipper had a vertebrae compression fracture back in March. After months of rehab she was feeling brave enough to Float Test the new Nutshell we built, but nervous about moving around in the pram.
OUCH! My sympathies to Skipper. I did that 30 years ago on a jump on a BMX track. Knocked me out of commission for a while. But since then, no problems at all. I think I'm a little shorter though, LOL.

Sorry so late to reply. We've been off trying to sail in the Keys. That was a let down. But we had a fun time in Cape Canaveral.

I'm sure I'll regroup on this come warmer days.

Sorry so late to reply. We've been off trying to sail in the Keys. That was a let down. But we had a fun time in Cape Canaveral. I'm sure I'll regroup on this come warmer days.
Was sailing a let-down because of the windy "cold weather bomb" that affected so much of the East Coast--including the Florida Keys?

At the risk of derailing this thread, I'll mention that the Keys did not provide ready access to the water, in spite of my contrary expectations. I'm sure there were places, but I guess I needed to do more research on put-ins. We did sail Largo Sound at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. Otherwise the weather was really nice.

Back