Unexpected Coronavirus Result

Clyde

Nice spring weather has warmed up Lake Norman here in NC. Lowered Sunfish from garage ceiling, put trailer together, checked rigging and was all set to start sailing. What's wrong with this scenario? Launch ramps I use are closed because they are in a County Park which is closed because of the virus. Covered 'fish up and it now sits for the duration on my trailer on my patio. Not really complaining as there are lots of folk in a bad way. Sailing is minor I everyone.n comparison! Stay healthy

Weather here on Long Island has got me getting ready to drop the boat in the water. The wife mentioned the parks are closed.
I guessing I can drop in lake Ronkonkoma at the dec boat ramp. I don’t recall there being a gate there. If so I’ll drag it down to the shore at one of the many roadside fishing spots. I mean what could be more social distancing then sailing alone in a 240 acre lake?
Lake Ronkonkoma is unique as its bordered by 3 towns. There is a town beach named In memorial of Lt. Micheal P. Murphy , another town rec center, 2 separate county beaches and the dec state boat ramp. I’m more concerned with the lady of the lake then the closing of the parks though.
Local legend says she claims a male victim each year as she looks for her lost love. Makes capsizing in the 65’-90’ deep lake a bit more worrisome.

Attachments

• FE2A6D4E-F178-4A94-B786-88A6ED9B13F5.jpeg
    FE2A6D4E-F178-4A94-B786-88A6ED9B13F5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
'Lady of the Lake'---as in the "EXCALIBUR" flick, yeah? But this one claims a male victim each year? Sounds like just the blind date for me... might even be my future ex-wife, LOL. :confused:

P.S. Ya don't suppose those 'male victims' were simply hammered & fell overboard? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Could be worse. An LA surfer was fined $1000 for surfing alone off a closed beach. :confused:

It could be even worser--where, in Costa Rica, a surfer was shot at by police! :eek:

Could be worse. An LA surfer was fined $1000 for surfing alone off a closed beach. :confused:

It could be even worser--where, in Costa Rica, a surfer was shot at by police! :eek:

As if the L.A. surfer actually has a job, LOL... ;)

And ya can't drop in on those Costa Rican badges, snaking 'em hard, without some sort of repercussions... :rolleyes:

...for the last 400 years or so...

She's 400 years old as well? Meh, I've dated worse... :eek:

Clyde,
Blythe Landing (at the Southern end of Lake Norman, Huntersville) was open a few days ago for launching. Our Lake Norman Community Sailing (also at Blythe Landing) is standing down now, no activity at all.
Roger

Thanks Roger. Saw the gates gone a couple of days ago. Yard work this weekend - Monday looking forward to my first sail of the season. Clyde.

There is no sailing here in the UK. Everything closed. I really miss it. Best wishes to all you other shore-bound sunfish sailors. Stay safe. We will be back on the water soon enough.

"HELP!!! HELP!!! I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!!!" :(

And contrary to what y'all might believe, alcohol is NOT a factor... well, maybe a small factor, LOL. :D

As an unexpected result of this 'viral pandemic' [hack!!!], I have practically overdosed on old Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Jason Statham, and Jean-Claude Van Damme movies... worse yet, there seems to be an unlimited supply of these flicks, Academy Award winners the lot. :confused:

I now open every tin of cat food with a karate chop... it gets messy at times. I use Kung Fu to open my refrigerator... damned thing is taking a beating. When I took out the trash today, I moved the large black bin to the curb by administering a flying side kick. When does it all end? :rolleyes:

Just a short while ago, I opened a beer with the 'Blow of Death'---thing exploded, Hollywood style, and there was beer everywhere in my kitchen! Wasted 12 fluid ounces that way, while the cuts required 15 stitches. Note to self: do NOT use the 'Blow of Death' to open any more beers!!! :eek:

My cats are getting nervous too... when Tiger tried to hog the mattress last night in his usual fashion, I woke to find my hand on his throat in a 'Dragon Claw!' Crackhead saw this, busted out a machine pistol with an oath and sprayed the room, but I used martial arts to dodge every bullet... it was plain crazy!!! ;)

Sure hope the 'viral pandemic' ends soon... before my home is totally destroyed, along with whatever brain cells happen to remain in my skull, LOL. I used to think I was a REAL man, but I don't know how many MORE of these B-grade martial arts flicks I can take... [sob]... wish me luck, aye? CHEERS!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Time for some A-grade martial arts. Try the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' series, also
known as the 'Baby Cart' Series. How about 'Drunken Master 2." Original "Seven
Samurai" and the entire "Samuri Jack" series. And the worst martial arts film
ever made, "The Clones of Bruce Lee." where the film cuts off with no ending
because they probably ran out of money for more film stock or just ran out of
ideas.

I like the 'DRUNKEN MASTER' flicks, and 'SEVEN SAMURAI' is excellent. I always liked 'KUNG FU HUSTLE' too---that one was good for some laughs. Some of these B-grade films are unintentional comedies... I'm working my way through the free library via my Roku Streaming Stick, and many of the free films are obscure flicks I've never even seen. If a movie really sucks, I abort it pronto and return to the menu... this happens on a regular basis. There ARE some good movies occasionally displayed on the menu, and some classics like 'ENTER THE DRAGON' with Bruce Lee. I also get a lot of Bond flicks, which are okay as far as entertainment goes, though they lack realism, LOL. Meh, I'll suffer through the lot and exhaust the free library options before I order anything... I already paid for the Roku Stick, you understand, and I'm conserving money during this ridiculous viral scare. So it goes, but I'll be glad when things return to some semblance of normalcy, can't happen too soon in this Brave New World. :rolleyes:

Almost forgot to post these pics of little Phoenix displaying her Kung Fu technique during last night's B-grade martial arts movie marathon... :rolleyes:

IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0093.JPG

DON'T MESS WITH PHOENIX OR SHE'LL SCHOOL YA... LOL. :eek:

Weather here on Long Island has got me getting ready to drop the boat in the water. The wife mentioned the parks are closed.
I guessing I can drop in lake Ronkonkoma at the dec boat ramp. I don’t recall there being a gate there. If so I’ll drag it down to the shore at one of the many roadside fishing spots. I mean what could be more social distancing then sailing alone in a 240 acre lake?
Lake Ronkonkoma is unique as its bordered by 3 towns. There is a town beach named In memorial of Lt. Micheal P. Murphy , another town rec center, 2 separate county beaches and the dec state boat ramp. I’m more concerned with the lady of the lake then the closing of the parks though.
Local legend says she claims a male victim each year as she looks for her lost love. Makes capsizing in the 65’-90’ deep lake a bit more worrisome.
Made it out to the lake yesterday, so apparently the Indian princess isn’t the only mystical creature on the lake.
From across the lake I wasn’t sure what I was seeing, so I had to take a closer look.
Yup a unicorn!!!
They were fishing off that thing lol.
No PFD, fishing off an inflatable pool toy, just as a reminder the lake has a steep drop off from 65-90’ deep, the stress is getting to everyone...lol.

Well they were having fun and it definitely made me smile.

Attachments

• 8E98A9C4-1980-4595-A9EC-63CA30DAA259.jpeg
    8E98A9C4-1980-4595-A9EC-63CA30DAA259.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 340D62D6-C512-4C29-9EB3-DE4B1E485AB0.jpeg
    340D62D6-C512-4C29-9EB3-DE4B1E485AB0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Nice spring weather has warmed up Lake Norman here in NC. Lowered Sunfish from garage ceiling, put trailer together, checked rigging and was all set to start sailing. What's wrong with this scenario? Launch ramps I use are closed because they are in a County Park which is closed because of the virus. Covered 'fish up and it now sits for the duration on my trailer on my patio. Not really complaining as there are lots of folk in a bad way. Sailing is minor I everyone.n comparison! Stay healthy
Well, it has been what? a month and a half since my first post? Anyway, ramp is open, yard work (mostly) done and I finally got out Thursday. Mild, a little gusty but nothing horrid. Boy did it seem good!

If there's ANYTHING good about this viral situation, it's giving me the opportunity to finish some home rehab tasks which have been on the back burner for months. I knocked out the rest of that skirting work yesterday, and I installed the other 'kitty port' so the cats can access the crawlspace under my home. I actually have several new trim strips left over, so I may swap out several older ones which are still in okay shape, just to put the new ones to good use. It's not worth trying to return them to the Depot in Sierra Vista, and I probably couldn't anyway because I bought them months & months ago. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I still have the receipt, as I routinely save all such receipts (in boot boxes, one boot box per year), but I'm just gonna put the strips up instead. I will eventually repaint the exterior of my home, so the new strips will be painted anyway, but I might as well put 'em up for now because it doesn't require much effort, merely a little drill action as I work my way along each strip. The home exterior looks okay right now, but I plan on painting it white or off-white because that's the best choice for the high desert, particularly in warmer months. White looks good too, one neighbor's white home is very neat & tidy, LOL. :cool:

So, at least I'm getting all that done during this viral situation... I gotta admit that this was pretty low priority work, but I've been meaning to get it done for ages. And once it's done, that's it, I'm through with it and I never want to see it again, LOL. It's not like a boat: one can't get too friggin' excited about doing skirting work on a double-wide in the high desert, but I'm glad I had this opportunity to knock it out, and it'll only increase the value of my home. Thing has practically doubled in value as it is, since it was a real train wreck of a fixer when I bought it... WTF, I got a good price on it, LOL. ;)

Seriously, I couldn't have done this in Kalifornia, which is why I left my former home in Coronado. Arizona has been good to me, I've lived 'The Life of Riley' ever since my arrival, though the employment scene has been up & down... however, I should have that HazMat endorsement BACK on my license in short order, and that will make a BIG difference. Plus I still might hear from ADOT or the County, in which case I'll be right back on that retirement program with the paid vacay, we'll see what happens. But I'm grateful for this slow downtime which has enabled me to tackle these projects (for which I had ZERO enthusiasm, LOL). :confused:

Meh, just trying to see the positive aspects of a negative situation... and be grateful for a roof over my head, that's for damned sure in this crazy modern era. Hey, it might only be a 24' x 60' double-wide on a hilltop quarter-acre in the high desert, but I OWN the sonofab!tch free & clear, and I have a MILLION-DOLLAR VIEW of the San Pedro Valley, the Dragoon Mountains and Cochise Stronghold. All for a whopping $36K, plus another $6K or so and a truckload of elbow grease, LOL. So I'm happy as a b@stard on Father's Day, life could be far worse... thus endeth the sermon, I'm off to wash the car here in a bit, it needs it. :D

GOT SOME SPRINGTIME BUGS BAKED ONTO THE WINDSHIELD, TIME TO BREAK OUT THE SCRUBBING PAD... AT LEAST I'LL BE UNDER THE WIDE METAL AWNING OVER THE CARPORT, WHERE IT'S STILL NICE & COOL. CHEERS!!! :)

Edit: Gotta toss in a shot of the 8' pool table, I'll be shooting stick later, drinking beer & firing up the ol' BBQ, LOL. :eek:

IMG_9739.JPG

Yes, life could definitely be worse... LOL. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got out for a sail! The boathouse reopened on Saturday and I went down yesterday and had a lovely blast reaching up and down in a force 3-4. Nice big waves. Just the ticket. The sea is still bloody cold. Then I had to cycle home in my wet sailing gear because the changing rooms etc are still closed up. Worth it though.

Back