UK Sunfish owner in gusty winds - some photos

Orangebug

Hi all,

It was fairly gusty today and I decided it might be a good afternoon to try the boat out in something other than the light winds I've experienced so far. Two hours and three capsizes later (my first ever capsizes!) I had a big smile on my face and a few bruises on my arm. The final capsize launched me off the boat and I landed on the boom!

I discovered that the Sunfish is a LOT faster than the Toppers I have been sailing for the last year. I also found that the sail holds a lot of water and it takes a good while to get the boat upright again as the water drains off - any tips for this? (Other than checking the mainsheet isn't cleated - I learned that one already!)

My 6 year old came to watch and took some photos of me. There were rather more of me in the water than on the boat, so I've edited them carefully :) :
http://www.orangebug.co.uk/SunfishSailing/index.html

Thanks for all the great advice on the forum - this is the only place I've got for things Sunfish!

Nick

orangebug,
for a 6-yr old, he/she is pretty good with the camera! I actually liked some of the crazy angle shots, and the ones between the boards/slats.

I've only had my 'Fish out a couple times this summer, but the last time was probably the fastest I've ever sailed her. like your day, it was fairly heavy winds, and strong gusts would catch me by surprise - makes it exciting, to say the least. I also got the boat to plane, which was really wild.

I did take my 8-yr old son out with me that part of that day - and we also capsized several times. he did very well with it - didn't get nervous or anything, and seemed to greatly enjoy the time.

I'm going on vacation next week, and hope to get my 'Fish in the water a couple times, and will try to get someone to capture my adventures with a camera. I'll post any results.

thanks for sharing the pictures.

tag

Re: UK Sunfish owner in gusty winds - uprighting capsized boat

The sail was perhaps full of water because you were trying to right the boat against the wind. That is, while you were trying to right the boat over, was the wind trying to push the boat back down?

If that happens, or if it ever does happen, swim over to the front of the boat, and grab the bow handle. From there, frog-kick the boat away from the wind and into a more neutral position - i.e. such that you won't be pulling the boat over against the wind. You'd be surprised what a good couple of frog-kicks will do as far as moving these boats around to the desired position.

Also, use your right hand and reach up to grab the centerboard, and as soon as the boat even begins to start to turn upright, use your left hand to reach up into the cockpit (well) and grab that cockpit rim. From there, use that leverage to get up on top of the boat, with either one or both of your knees on the centerboard, and as close to the boat as possible. If you ride the tip of the centerboard as a means to get the boat over, it can take forever, especially against gusty winds.

Right hand on the tip of the centerboard to begin the process of getting it over, left hand then up on top of the boat and into the well lip to give you more leverage, and finally all your body weight on the centerboard, as close to the hull as possible, as you begin the process of tipping the boat back upright.

Great looking boat - I like the sail colors matched with the '80's style deck colors....

Re: UK Sunfish owner in gusty winds - uprighting capsized boat

The sail was perhaps full of water because you were trying to right the boat against the wind. That is, while you were trying to right the boat over, was the wind trying to push the boat back down?

Of course you are correct - it is obvious now; that is exactly what was happening. That would also explain why it popped up so quickly after the 2nd capsize - the boat was the other way around, so I had the help from the wind, especially when it got under the sail. Thanks for the great advice PBA, although I hope I don't need to use it too soon.

And thanks for the kind words about the photos tag, my son was really pleased with them. The next step is to try and get him on the boat with me!

How did you happen to end up with Sunfish in the UK? I know they are not common there. Glad to see there are some there tho! They are a great boat. BB

How did you happen to end up with Sunfish in the UK? I know they are not common there. Glad to see there are some there tho! They are a great boat. BB

The boat says Bahrain Yacht Club on the back. Apparently someone brought it over to the UK from there. I bought it off ebay for just over 100 UKP (around $150 at the time). I've had to buy some rigging for it, and I've done a few repairs, but I still think I got a good deal. My main problem is the cost of shipping parts from the USA to the UK. I'm still waiting for my sail rings and new bailer (mine is leaking!) from Torresen Marine, but I decided to live with some temporary repairs so I could get out on the water.

I doubt there are more than a dozen Sunfish in the UK, but I understand they are a little more popular in Europe. I guess the Topper is our equivalent of the Sunfish in the UK - they are very popular, but are a little smaller than the 'fish. More of a kids boat, I guess, but even at my age I liked sailing them. I like the Sunfish more though :)

Back