Ugly wrinkles are fast (downwind?)

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
The October issue of Sailing World has a story (p. 36) about the upcoming US trials for the Olympics. There is a nice picture of Anna Tunicliffe leading Page Railey (in Radials of course). Both are sailing downwind and it looks like Anna is sailing by the lee (see the tell tale). Her sail shows many wrinkles around the luff. Page's sail also shows some, but not quite as many (her sail is a bit out of focus; so I can't tell). It looks like it's fairly windy (white caps are seen), and there are waves as well.

Since these ladies know what they are doing, is having no C'ham on etc. the way to go fast downwind?

The sails also show the wrinkles from being folded, more so on Anna's sail, it looks like. But that's not the issue I want to ask the learned community about.

Am I interpreting this picture correctly? Any other comments?

Downwind your sail should be like a gennaker, so everything is just as loose as possible (outhaul, cunningham)

There is only some tension on the vang.

Cunningham should be completely off. Outhaul should not be completely blown off though. Remember, sailing by the lee is all about flow across the sail. If you do not have a proper shape you will lose flow and will not go fast.

Isn't about having a pretty tight leech downwind? Use the vang a bit just so the leech will "flick". That's super fast for me.

a bit off topic but how far should the clue of the sail be from the end of the boom at maximum looseness downwind? I'm re-cutting my outhaul

It's not how far off the end it should be, but the depth of the sail should be about two "fists" at the foot of the sail.

TC

Isn't about having a pretty tight leech downwind? Use the vang a bit just so the leech will "flick". That's super fast for me.

Absolutely not. The leech should not be tight downwind. The leech should be able to breathe, i.e. flex to leeward about 18 inches in puffs, etc. The only reason to have a tighter vang would be if you are having serious issues staying in control in heavy air, the vang can then be a bit tighter to help prevent death rolls.

Back