Two Sunfish sail topics

Alan S. Glos

I have a nice all white race sail that I found in Facebook Marketplace. Great shape but it was stored fox "x" number of years and somehow got some rust stains on it.
I have used CLR to remove rust stains from a Sunfish hull. What would work on a sail? Any ideas? Other chemicals recommemded?

Second, and completely unrelated, I notice that Intensity Sails is selling a nice Red-White-Blue Sunfish aftermarket sail with sewn on loops to attach the sail to the booms.
I love it! Obviously not class legal for racing, but no more plastic sail attachment clips. Has anybody seen one? It is on sale for about $130.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia,NY

Satin White Rust-Oleum...

We tried some Oxi-Clean with limited success. The best results we get from a good wash with Dawn and then lay the sail on green grass to let Mother Nature's chlorophyll work on it. We have found nothing to get all the rust gone, nor has our sailmaker.

As for the loops, I like it. Not sure what they do forward of the gooseneck tho...

SC,

If only I had some "green grass" and sunshine. You do remember I live in "almost Canada" here in Upstate NY, 11 1/2 months of winter and two weeks of bad sledding.

I will try the Oxi-clean soak and may try a little diluted CLR and a Q-tip.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I have a nice all white race sail that I found in Facebook Marketplace. Great shape but it was stored fox "x" number of years and somehow got some rust stains on it.
I have used CLR to remove rust stains from a Sunfish hull. What would work on a sail? Any ideas? Other chemicals recommemded?

Second, and completely unrelated, I notice that Intensity Sails is selling a nice Red-White-Blue Sunfish aftermarket sail with sewn on loops to attach the sail to the booms.
I love it! Obviously not class legal for racing, but no more plastic sail attachment clips. Has anybody seen one? It is on sale for about $130.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia,NY
To remove rust stains from virtually anything without damage they sell a product by the gallon for 10 bucks or so at lowes. Its called rust aid. White jug green writing. I just used it today on the sail that was with my 76 boat project. I also use it on my power boat from anchor chain deck stain or well water sprinkler system with too much iron that hits the boat or house siding.. Good luck.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia,NY
Found this video today

I kinda wish I had gone for the sail with the loops, but somehow I completely missed it when I purchased one without the loops. Ah well. Ya live ya learn!

Back