What's new

Two questions from a newbie to J/24 sailing ...

billveno83

Another thought occurred to me:
I had a little time three weeks ago to look the boat over in person, and I was checking the mast over for the setup of various rigging components, and realized I couldn’t find a topping lift.
Do J24 boats that are/have been raced eliminate the topping lift to save weight?
If I want to add a topping lift, I would probably ktry to use a wire rope for most of the length and a line at the end to allow me to change the angle of the lowered boom. Sound reasonable?

Thomas Anthony

Can't speak to all J/24's but USA 4332 did not have a topping lift when I purchased her. The boats do no typically have a rod boom vang or boomkicker and it is certainly useful to have the boom held up when the main is dropped. My solution was to use 1/8" grey Amsteel (spectra). I put a small loop in the top end and placed in on the same clevis pin that the backstay is on, on the masthead crane. On the bottom end from memory again on my boat there was two small holes at the end of the boom and I ran the line through them. I made the line a few feet longer to allow for the ease when out sailing. Am sure there are lots of other solutions to this but just my 2 cents. As an fyi the wire would probably work fine for it, but might cause some addition wear on the main as opposed to using the spectra although the wire would be more durable.

VinceH

I think my 1978 boat had a topping lift that we got rid of in 1996 when I took over the boat. Just unneeded weight. I never felt like we were missing anything. On the rare occasions I wanted the boom supported without the main, we used the halyard.

Jsailinghabit

Leaving the halyard made at the clew end of the boom when the main is off or before hoist gives plenty of headroom for docking and maneuvering. It also helps keep from fouling with the other rigging. Same with jib halyard to the foredeck.

billveno83

Anybody have a spare J/24 tiller available? Preferably located in New England - but whatever. The tiller that came with my boat has delaminated and is not useable.