Turn On! To Rules Transitions: Part One

CoachK

turnon.jpg

It is amazing what you can learn from a just a photo. Sit forward, the 69 boat's stern is out of water compared to boat 75.
Intensity Sails, really! I guess one design racing is no longer in affect for Laser Class. Yes, I know the arguments, but I guess I don't have to camouflage that graphite mast I made in my garage with silver paint!

Here's the link.
http://centerofeffort01.blogspot.com/

Just so you guys understand Courageous Sailing Center (and many like it around the country) is a non-profit community sailing center that provides free sailing to over 1000 Boston youth every summer. We have a thriving adult program which includes a winter frostbiting series featuring some of the best sailors in the country, including Ben Richardson, 2011 Laser Master World Champion. While you may disdain the use of Intensity sails the fact remains that we had 20+ people out every thursday night for summer laser sailing — beginners up through long-time masters. Our goal is provide a venue and support for the growth of laser sailing. Point of fact: three of our group (one who just started sailing the laser a year ago) had so much fun at our summer series they traveled with me to Cabarete this January for a Master's clinic and regatta. They all own their own boats now.

Feeder programs like the one at Courageous deserve your support. They get teenagers and college kids into boats and adults excited about pursuing laser sailing over other fleets. Two of our summer people bought boats this year and plan to race in local regatta - and yes, with class legal sails.

Ask yourselves—what's more important? Getting as many people out and interested in sailing the laser and eventually purchasing one of their own or paying for overpriced (crappy) class-legal sails. I'll take the former.

Oh—and the guy in boat 75 - he was one of the ones who went to Caberete, sailed in 25+ knots winds and 6 ft. swell and kicked butt. It's amazing what we laser sailors can do when we give each other the help and support.

I'm sorry CoachK. My post was not intended to offend. My comment about 75 was only to point out a classic fault that WE all do and was captured perfectly in the picture. The comment about the sail use was just in frustration of the whole scenario. Your program sounds fantastic and YES, more sailors on the line is better than no sailors on the line. Keep up the great work you are doing even if you have to use underwear as sails. Once again, sorry for the sarcasm.

Hey that is great Coach K, that is some feat to get 1000 kids on the water, our fleet also allows intensity sails for club events, our spring regatta is coming up in 2 weeks on the 12th if anyone from your fleet wants to drive down

I'm sorry Coach K. My post was not intended to offend. My comment about 75 was only to point out a classic fault that WE all do and was captured perfectly in the picture. The comment about the sail use was just in frustration of the whole scenario. Your program sounds fantastic and YES, more sailors on the line is better than no sailors on the line. Keep up the great work you are doing even if you have to use underwear as sails. Once again, sorry for the sarcasm.

Heh Redpinstripes:
No problemo. I got a little hot under the collar but it happens. Probably discussions about aftermarket vs. class legal sails should be left for the Laser Politics section of this site. And I'll qualify my comments under the basis that this is in my experience. I think that outfits like Intensity and Peak Sails serve a purpose in the market that class-legals aren't. Maybe the problem isn't with these outfits but with the class-legals sails. I have several standards and radials that I use only for sanctioned racing events because they are expensive and the quality stinks. I've had batten pockets rip after one regatta and everyone knows how fast they blow-out. The bottom line for me isn't what sail your using but how your using it. I've seen really good sailors with really crappy boats win events because their just good sailors.

Anyway after market - whether you like it or not - is here to stay. The laser class powers can complain all they want but I think they are as much responsible for the situation as anyone. Provide a good product and people will buy it. Provide an expensive product, that frankly sucks, and people will go elsewhere - that's the bottom line.

Thanks for listening.

Back