Travler

Tom

Hi all How tight should you have your travler rope? because i run mine as tight as possibile but my tiller continues to hit the fairlead so i bought a carbon tiller but i still have the same problem????? i have got new gungens and put tape in the holes to reduce movement, shaped then pushed in the tiller as far as i could, i have also added a rap of tape to make sure it is in as tight as possible but it continues to hit any help would be much appreciated many thanx Tom

> but my tiller continues to hit the fairlead

Subjects and objects, please!

What "fairlead"?

Tape in which "holes" ??

"To reduce movement" where ???

"Added a rap of tape" where ????

SG

Have to agree that it's a little hard to tell what you're talking about, but...

Current general practice is to have the traveler as tight as you can while still having the taveler block pass over the tiller without trouble. Obviously the stronger the wind the tighter it can be. Some sailors loosen the traveler more still in light conditions to allow the boom to settle farther inboard, and some don't. I use 0-stretch Vectran-core line which allows you to more-or-less use one setting for all conditions (since it doesn't stretch you don't have to tighten it in a blow).

I wouldn't put tape in the gudgeon holes as this will cause friction. If you are having trouble with the tiller clearing stuff under it you can use 5/16" washers as spacers on the pintles to raise the rudder. I have to do this to get the tiller to clear the stern deck.

i put tape in the gudgeon holes, out tape on the head of the tiller before pushing it into the rudder stock but it continues to hit

Back