Traveller Cam Cleat / Hikingstrap Shockcord

No, I still ignored to post of the person who is merely trolling, but replied to those who were serious in their questions.

Such Drivel. I obviously can't say for sure, but what if this Vanguard cleat came w/ a vanguard era boat? How could it be illegal?

If you go to Mattcm's site you will notice that he drilled holes in his boom endcap to make sure water drains out after a knock down. Now according to the twisted logic applied to things like this cleat and the bottle port, the evil perpetrator has changed the function of the end cap from an endcap to a drain. OH NO!!!!!!! We can't have that sort of innovation going on! Call out the guards! Man the Parapets!! Smite the scoundrel!!!:eek:

Just to point out if you haven't noticed, this isn't my site is a site that has featured on the forum before that I found some parts to be useful. As for that cleat, I thought it was legal as it is vanguard but thankyou Alan for correcting me.

As far as I'm concerned, I do find a few rules silly but rules are rules. Relaxing rules leaves them open to exploitation and I think that if you don't like the system, there are other classes more expensive classes to join.

No, I still ignored to post of the person who is merely trolling, but replied to those who were serious in their questions.

Alan, et al.
It appears that my attempt at satire did not have the hoped for effect, And for that I apologize. In re-reading my post, I realized that I gave the impression that Alan's posts were not to be taken seriously, and that was certainly not my point. Again I am sorry for this and it will not happen again.

At this juncture, I should point out that I am a club racer at best, yet I still use builder supplied hardware and a class legal sail. This is because I am a firm believer in the rules which are in place to protect the integrity of the class and in the one-design philosophy. My aim above was to point out the absurdity (IMHO) of applying these same regulations to items which have no performance enhancing effect whatsoever on the boat yet solve practical problems and otherwise enhance the experience of sailing a Laser. I fear this situation will stifle innovation, and I have seen parallels to it in the motor racing world.

If there is no alternative to the rules as they stand and are applied, then perhaps there should be a quick approval protocol which can be used in cases like the Bottle Port or a Clam Cleat with a hole in it.

Alan, et al.
It appears that my attempt at satire did not have the hoped for effect, And for that I apologize. In re-reading my post, I realized that I gave the impression that Alan's posts were not to be taken seriously, and that was certainly not my point. Again I am sorry for this and it will not happen again.

Have some dignity, man!

There is much more I wish to say, but I'll leave it at that.

Have some dignity, man!

There is much more I wish to say, but I'll leave it at that.

Ah, this explains a lot. I think you are confusing hubris with dignity. Bungo Pete's post clarifies his position and is the epitome of dignity and humility. Kudos to him.

Note to all, without facial expression and tone of voice, sometimes the jokes are difficult to recognize. Use of the smilies helps.

Ah, this explains a lot. I think you are confusing hubris with dignity. Bungo Pete's post clarifies his position and is the epitome of dignity and humility. Kudos to him.

Note to all, without facial expression and tone of voice, sometimes the jokes are difficult to recognize. Use of the smilies helps.

Though that would also fit, I meant what I said when dignity is defined as poise/self respect, etc along those lines.

Just the way he said: "Again I am sorry for this and it will not happen again."

I'm not sure if English is a second second language to him, but if it isn't, I'd find it very awkward and uncomfortable for someone to apologize for something so simple and harmless in such a manner.

It is very easy to pick up someone's character traits, simply from observing posting. (Doesn't that sound familiar) I'm not talking about blatant jokes (intended to be), but more so things like arrogance and a sense of "I know it all, do not question me". (Pot, meet kettle) Things like that rarely, if ever get apologized for, unless the person is acting in such a way on purpose. Again, this is usually not the case, and said person sees nothing wrong with their actions.

The internet me that got banned a couple weeks ago says: "Lol at teh srs post", but that was the actual me haha.

Anyway, I don't wish to go into specifics. I've thought about sending a PM off, but I'm not into doing that kind of stuff. It's only the internet, after all.

Its not that hard is it guyz! Think about it! Remove you toe strap elastic!!! I dont have any elastic and absulutely no problem at all! And the traveller can be adjusted easily! Common sence!!!

It's only the internet, after all.

You've said this before, and I think that you are missing something. This is a sailing community. We don't just share tips and yammer at each other on the net. We eventually meet each other on the water, and on the water we share a Corinthian sport with the highest standards in ethics and sportsmanship. At The Laser Forum we expect those standards.

You've said this before, and I think that you are missing something. This is a sailing community. We don't just share tips and yammer at each other on the net. We eventually meet each other on the water, and on the water we share a Corinthian sport with the highest standards in ethics and sportsmanship. At The Laser Forum we expect those standards.

In the post above, I meant that in reference to myself.

Hi, I just read this post with interest. I am a newbie to Lasers and in the process of setting up my boat. Naturally, I want my boat to comply with the Rules.
I need some clarification on this one please:
I refer to item 6 on this page: http://www.laserinternational.org/info/hullcompliance which says:

6. Hiking strap shock cord tied to traveller rope [No] 17d

I don't see a lot of difference between the first two setups below as in both instances, the shock cord is tied to the traveler rope, yet the first seems to comply but the second doesn't? The way I interpret this ruling is that the first two pics below are illegal, but the 3rd pic is legal. However, I've seen a number of boats with the shock cord set up as in the first pic below. Clearly it is tied to the traveller rope because if you removed the rope, it won't be attached the the cleat. In pic 3, if you removed the traveler rope, the shock cord would still be attached to the cleat.

Or am I missing something in the interpretation?

traveller-cleat-jpg.4815

hikingstrap-shockcord-3-jpg.4821

609855327_Et6MM-M.jpg

(Pic courtesy of APS http://apsltd.smugmug.com)

The pertinent class rule is 17d which says:
A shock cord may be attached between the aft end of the hiking strap and to either the traveller cleat, or the hiking strap eye straps at the aft end of the cockpit

Pics 1 & 3 are the same as far as how the shockcord is led... At no point is the shockcord tied to the trav., it's simply looped around the trav cleat. The trav line, in it's normal position, keeps the shockcord trapped (attached) around the cleat. Since they are the same, both are also legal.
Pic 2 is not legal as the shockcord is tied to the trav.

I'll leave the explanation of how the shockcord is "attached" to the trav cleat to our resident class measurer

The ruler states

A shock cord may be attached between the aft end of the hiking strap and to either the traveller cleat, or the hiking strap eye straps at the aft end of the cockpit.
Whilst it could be argued that Pic 1 & 3 also fail, this is the normal way the shockcord is set up. Picture 2 fails to meet the criteria set in the rule or how the rule is normally interpreted.

Guess I'm not understanding the need to worry about adjusting the trav. line. At least for racing there are just two settings, tight and super tight (the difference in line movement is less then 3 cm) and the shockcord doesn't impede the movement enough to cause problems adjusting it. It's pretty rare to adjust it while racing, at least in the areas I sail in.

Aft now about 2 years I asked this question: I guess, it is better to follow your hint ,thanks Greg, my brother in mind!

But, brother "Clive H. (yes you my good friend, from AUS)", please take your view on this issue here (and perhaps add a decent "rule in addition" to handle it "bulletproof", in compliance with J.-L.-M./FRA)! I guess , you are sure on recreation of "THE" 2011 heavy wind event of SF Bay, aren't you (and ALL of the great guys and ladies that successful managed that races, never would put to much attention about this issue here) ? ... ;)
Please, let us "d-level" Laser racers know in detail, how "the things" actually go, related to this "small bungee"-"hiking strap" issue!
Again thanks ahead!
Your's
The
{"d-level" Laser racer}
Lo(o)serLu

Back