Traveler line question

Go Dad

I've seen boats with a traverler line that includes a different line tied to the traveler lined between the bowline or loop and the cleat. I suspect it's to provide for a very low stretch line to be used for the actual traveler that carries the blocks and goes over the tiller and for longer lasting and better cleating line to go through the traveler cleat. There is no added purchase just a better and longer lasting line going through the cleat. Is this legal? Both lines are the same diameter.
Thanks,
Scott

Nope, and totally unnecessary as well. A good piece of spectra will cleat very well, so long as you take the slightest bit of care when cleating it. It will also last a very long time, particularly if you make your traveller line a bit long and move the knot occasionally, and even more so if you pass some sandpaper briefly through the metal traveller eyes to smooth out the parting lines from the mold in which they are made.

Dave, don't mean to put you on the spot, but why doesn't Vanguard have the supplier smooth out the traveller eyes prior to shipping to Vanguard -or- why doesn't someone at Vanguard run the sandpaper or dremel over the eyes prior to installing ?

There are a lot of things that would be nice to do that, taken collectively, would add a lot of manhours to the boat. Manhours mean cost, directly. My feeling, and the feeling that has prevailed around here for a long time, is that you would rather take the 1 second to do this (okay it might take 20 start to finish) than pay us to do it.

Having the metal fairleads is a big tremendous boon anyway, and they are way more expensive (about 5x) than the plastic ones.

Generally, we can BUY stuff at a big advantage to what you can do (except in the case of carbon tillers) which is why we have done things like put an incredible line package on the boat, and upgraded to the ridiculously nice Seitech padded strap in the boat. You can supply minutes of labor at a big advantage over what we can do, so there may be one or two things that you'd like to do when you get your boat. The trav eyes are the one I can think of.

We supply AND install the bailers with every boat now because, honestly, people stink at doing it and we were getting a HUGE number of "my boat leaks" warranty claims that were attributable to improperly installed bailers.

dont mean to be rude but who the hell is vanguard? i have honestly never heard of them before coming on here!

Other qualifications for "Vanguard Sailboats" have been provided elsewhere on this Forum, too. You can do a search for "Vanguard".

Regardless of their heavy handed as well as subtle tactics to control our Class Association, it is well accepted that they do a great job of quality manufacturing. Plus, Dave's devotion and attention is clear. Thanks, Dave.

SG

Whoops. I just saw you are a UK guy so maybe not. Vanguard is the Laser builder in the US.

lol yeah was gonna say! born and bred in the uk was my boat! and i love it too bits! what do vanguard call the XD kit on the laser then? or do you guys use all harken stuff?
XD kit is like the race turbo kit from laser uk!

It's called the "Performance Upgrade Kit" by Vanguard.
It's made up of Harken blocks, except for Holt blocks for the deck block fitting and Holt cleats for the deck cleat base.

Our (North American) new vang is also a Harken-manufactured vang. Its design and tech specs and feel are all different than Holt's vang.

Fuller description is available in the article titled "Deck Plates & Upgrade Kits for Laser 2000" in the drLaser website.

SG

Dave Kirkpatrick of Vanguard wrote:

> ???WTF?

Hi, Dave,

If interested, the appropriate forum for this discussion (with or without such language) is the "Class & Politics" bulletin board of this forum. Or we can do it privately, if you prefer.

But if this was a sincere inquiry, the explanation is already publicly available on this Forum for all subscibers to consider and reflect on.

Best regards,

Shevy

My comment was neither unwarranted nor unsupported. It's not cheap either.

My suggestion to take it to the Class & Politics section is neither a requirement, nor THE MAIN ISSUE -- which was "who the hell is Vanguard?".

My comment is PART of who Vanguard is.

If you have things to say about "heavy handed as well as subtle tactics (of Vanguard) to control our Class Association", and if you would like to discuss them, we can. But Bradley would like us to discuss such topics on a separate bulletin board. That's all.

Best,

Shevy

I can feel the love... why do you guys fight... this is rediculous... VANGUARD is a compagny and like any other compagny they live to make money... if they control the class it's to keep the "monopole" (whatever tha word is in english - from french)... maybe it would be better if it was another way, but I think they do a great job and I think it could be worse in both ways... anyways it's not of my business... so peace

Wow! I didn't think a question about the traveler line would lead to a discussion on class politics.
Scott Deardorff

It's pretty funny how every argument on this forum seems to be Shevy induced.
"unwarranted, unsupported cheap"- here here
"WTF"- dam right

Back