Traveler fairlead replacement for Vanguard boat

hma123

I need to replace the traveler fairleads for my Vanguard 2005 or 2006 Laser (sail #184395). Is should be simple, but it seems that there are 2 sizes of fairleads available, 23mm or 26mm. As best I can measure without removing the fairleads my spacing is 26mm, but looking at various websites it lists the Vanguard part # as 80-21-0 with replacement Laser Performance #91321. To make it more confusing, some websites say it's 23mm and others say its 26mm! I can go for aluminum or plastic. Current ones are grey/black and probably aluminum.

Please help tell me which part number I need! I don't want to take the old ones off until new ones are in hand. Also, do I need to use silicone (or other) sealant when screwing the new ones in?

THanks!

The fairlead is actually Allen A 282. The corresponding aluminium part is A 282A.
http://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/item.asp?cat_id=4&prod_id=80#
The plastic one has to be one of the most widely available sailboat fittings in the world.

Whatever LP (or another Laser builder) has renumbered them for their own parts lists, it's the same thing. If an official Laser dealer (or LP or another builder itself) calls it a "traveller fairlead", it's what you want. Never mind the millimetres.

You need to put silicone only in the inner screw holes, as the outer ones don't go through to the inside of the hull.

Thanks. I'm in the US and Allen doesn't seem to have a dealer here. Did the spec on this fairlead change with the change in manufacturers of the boat? It seems that both 23mm and 26mm fairleads are available, with the 23mm being listed as being for "older" Lasers (but no years mentioned!).

Are you trying to buy them from West Coast Sailing? I wouldn't, as they clearly have no idea what they're trying to sell.
It's the same old fairlead, same dimensions on all boats, the only choice being the later addition of an alternative material.

This is it, from another American (and in my experience, quite knowledgable) source: http://www.apsltd.com/hardware/deck-hardware/fairleads/bridge-fairlead-black-gray-id-9mm-2.html

And this is the aluminium counterpart: http://www.apsltd.com/hardware/deck-hardware/fairleads/cast-aluminum-bridge-fairlead-gray-2.html

I won't fault West Coast of their web page. There are 3 different fairleads on a laser (traveller, end of the boom and the old style cunningham fairlead. The cunningham fairlead had the eyelet. But without going out to check, I think the boom and traveller had different measurements including profile, even though both have been plastic or aluminium during over the years. It's much simpler to give the measurement so people can get the correct one for their boat.

Not to belabor the point, but APS lists a separate Laser traveler fairlead as PN 91321 in addition to the Allen A282 that you provided the link to. The Allen one does not say "Laser" and does not mention the hole spacing (just the overall width of the unit). I realize that the boom fairlead is different. So.... which one do I need, or is #91321 the same as A282? Thanks again. I may just order both and see which fits! BTW, Laser Performance only lists the 91321, but I wonder if my Vanguard boat used a different size.

Measure the ones already on the boat or the deck holes where they should be. Purchase the metal ones which have the corresponding spacing.

Ok, just came from the club where I checked out more than a dozen boats... all had the (H)A 282 or 282A traveller fairleads.

Except... two 181xxx Vanguards! They really had something slightly bigger and metallic. (They also had a couple mm bigger outhaul fairleads; all others had the 282.). So, this is something your boat may or may not have - a 188xxx Vanguard had the "normal" fittings.

In short, do as Alan says.

Thanks for checking! I called Laser Performance and they said that some of the 2005-2006 Vanguard boats (like my 184xx) have a 26mm spacing alumag fairlead (PN 91102). I will order them and hope they work! I won't know till next month when I'm back where the boat is (I live in New Jersey, boat is kept on Long Island). Amazing how complex something so simple can be!

Thanks for checking! I called Laser Performance and they said that some of the 2005-2006 Vanguard boats (like my 184xx) have a 26mm spacing alumag fairlead (PN 91102). I will order them and hope they work! I won't know till next month when I'm back where the boat is (I live in New Jersey, boat is kept on Long Island). Amazing how complex something so simple can be!

Were you able to locate and by the parts? My wife's Laser needs 26mm fairleads to be replaced. I cannot find them anywhere.
THanks!

Andrei.

Back