traveler blocks...

Can anybody (preferebly the people who shop at fogh marine) tell me what the difference between the Blue traveler blocks with brummel compared to the Black traveler blocks with brummel? Does anybody know? Is it just basically the difference in the plastic? :confused:

i don't shop at fogh marine, but isn't it the new lasers with the blue travler blocks, blue boom blocks, blue bow eye, the blue travler fairleads, blue toestrap plate, blue friction pad etc. the older lasers have black stuff insted of blue,

well thats what i seem to think, anyone else?

I shop at Fogh's, but I haven't noticed the difference between the blocks. I promise I will ask next time I am there.

Howdy Yawl,
There is supposed to be a difference.... not sure if it was in strength or what, the blue might have a better quality bearing in it or more balls in the bearing. I've bought some gray ones from west marine that look exactly the same as the blue or black and seem to work just fine.
APS has or did have both in their catalog, they charged a couple of bucks more for the blue ones..
My .02 worth...
Happy New year y'all
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

There is absolutely no difference between the colours.
Zip Zilch Nada.
The grey ones are the newest colour. They are the sexiest.
I have seen Yellow and Orange ones as well. Those where tres bling.

it is called marketing, come out with a different colour and people will pay the extra $$ to get the latest colour. In 10 years time the black ones will be the hot colour.

There are no ball bearing in these blocks, only a quasi bushing made through the wheel. I find over time the hole/bushing gets longated and under force the block is not smooth (usually it is the small one that fails first) I usually replace them every 2 years so it is no point spending the extra $$ for this poorly made product, they are all crap.

i think the blue blocks are fastened with a rivet which is better than screws, i heard it is highly recommended to buy them instead of the black ones because they are less likely to come apart :)

i'm guessing fogh marine is american or somthing cos ive never heard of them over here ( GREAT britian)

144679 said:
i'm guessing fogh marine is american or somthing cos ive never heard of them over here ( GREAT britian)

Fogh Marine is in Toronto, Canada, owned by Hans Fogh. If you don't know who Hans Fogh is, you should do a little research, he's got pretty impressive background, not to mention he did the initial design of the Laser sail....

If you don't know who Hans Fogh is, you should do a little research, he's got pretty impressive background, not to mention he did the initial design of the Laser sail....

yeh i know who he is, i read about him and his involvement in designing the laser sail, but i didn't know if they had anyout lets in the UK

ascella_dylan said:
dont shop at fogh...they rip you off and the blocks are all the same piece of shit buy the cheaper ones.

But are there any other options for a Laser sailor in Toronto?

49208 said:
Fogh Marine is in Toronto, Canada, owned by Hans Fogh. If you don't know who Hans Fogh is, you should do a little research, he's got pretty impressive background, not to mention he did the initial design of the Laser sail....

And his son Morton Fogh was the kid (at the time) that helped field test the first Radial sail. Hans Fogh was sailing partner to the grandaddy of modern one design dingy racing, Paul Elvestrom. I am pretty sure he won an Olympic silver in Solings at one time. He moved to Canada to open a sail loft in Toronto.

RobKoci said:
But are there any other options for a Laser sailor in Toronto?

yeah, there are more options for Laser sailors in Toronto or anywhere. But Fogh Marine is the well known store, that has the most options for the laser sailor to buy.

laser_sailorette said:
yeah, there are more options for Laser sailors in Toronto or anywhere. But Fogh Marine is the well known store, that has the most options for the laser sailor to buy.

Okay. So. What are the options? Genco is no cheaper. The Rigging Shop doesn't have much in the way of dingy equipment. Online? Okay. I guess. But what do you suggest?

ben661 said:
i think the blue blocks are fastened with a rivet which is better than screws, i heard it is highly recommended to buy them instead of the black ones because they are less likely to come apart :)
Hi,
for me it is an advantage to have old blocks that have screws. Why?-Well, I only have to change the sheave if it is over. Rivets do not allow this.
Since several weeks, I also have a newer boom. This has blocks in violett colour and the colour of the sheaves are light-grey, they are rivetted.
My opinion is, that there are only 2 things different to the old black blocks (form the end of the 70ties): The rivets and the colour. Both types are produced by Holt-Allen. And I think, it makes no difference, if the are in yellow or green or black colour... Maybe the so called "Placebo-effect" make them faster...:D
Ciao
LooserLu

LooserLu said:
Hi,
for me it is an advantage to have old blocks that have screws. Why?-Well, I only have to change the sheave if it is over. Rivets do not allow this.

Sure they do - drill out the rivet and replace with a bolt after replacing the sheave.

49208 said:
Sure they do - drill out the rivet and replace with a bolt after replacing the sheave.
Yes, of course :D, and I also do this with the violett ones and get some new sheaves in the next days and make the blocks pretty for the first beat of this year on the water...

Back