Transporting; deck up or deck down?

Hey L&VW, I'm not sure the right photos came up and would like to see how you do this. It may be a problem on my end though. I have been thinking about what Beldar said-deck down is better. Had this idea of making some kind of cradle to fit in the bed of my truck and having 4 or 5 perpendicular canvas tie downs attached. Load the boat and tighten the tie downs so the boat raises up and is suspended. Of course, wouldn't want it to swing so more planning would be necessary for securing it but such a cradle could also be used to store the boat when not in use. Oh, and I'm almost finished with my PVC dolly built from Tag's plans-that should help a bit for my solo loading plan...

Hey L&VW, I'm not sure the right photos came up and would like to see how you do this. It may be a problem on my end though. I have been thinking about what Beldar said-deck down is better. Had this idea of making some kind of cradle to fit in the bed of my truck and having 4 or 5 perpendicular canvas tie downs attached. Load the boat and tighten the tie downs so the boat raises up and is suspended. Of course, wouldn't want it to swing so more planning would be necessary for securing it but such a cradle could also be used to store the boat when not in use. Oh, and I'm almost finished with my PVC dolly built from Tag's plans-that should help a bit for my solo loading plan...
I think you're right. It appeared to load in an instant! :confused: (Should'a known something was wrong) :oops: . I can see the thumbnail, but the full photo doesn't load. :(

What I did, was to lift the Sunfish bow up to a corner of the rear "shelf", raise the stern to a stepladder, then move the stern laterally over to the front. (Which overhangs the truck's cab). Most of the weight falls on the forward "shelf". (Which, on the Sunfish, contacts and supports the strong area of the Sunfish daggerboard trunk). The view is from the rear of the truck's cab, facing aft.
P3270003.JPG

The rear of the Sunfish shades the cab from the sun.

Repurposed tennis balls were secured to support the four corners. (Later, by running a cable-tie through each of them).

Well, I spent a couple of hours at the DMV and got my taxes and registration squared away. I've seen and read different ways people get their boats to the water. I've got a full sized pickup with 8' 5'' of bed with the tailgate down. I eventually want to build a dolly that I can strap the boat to and load the whole package into the bed and strap that down. In the meantime, I plan on gathering various materials like big blankets and that pink construction foam to support the boat in a more haphazard way. It would be easier to load the boat deck up and move it that way but I read this can be bad for the hull if not supported correctly. I would have 5' 4'' hanging off the back of the truck. Is that too much to hang off the end? How careful do I have to be in this regard?

I truck launched from my S10 for many years. My advice as I did it.

Get a plastic bed liner.
You need points to belay rope at the sides
Make a Center Board dolly.

To insert the dolly roll the boat on its side. Poke it in, roll the boat upright. It will rest transom down.

Push the bow down and aim the transom into the truck. Slide it over the liner.

Pick up the bow. Dolly will fall out. Invert the dolly into the CB trunk from on top.

Use rope around the dolly to your rope anchors.

Slide the spars in under the boat and secure to the bow handle. If you find a better way for this, do it.

I have transported this way for hundred of miles. Don’t forget the flag for your new extended length.

At the launch site. Two ways.

1 Have a helper move the dolly down below.

2 Drag the boat off onto grass, sand or water.

The dolly:
I made mine as a hack job from scrap 2 X 8 lumber. I used wheel borrow wheel WITH tubes. I used 1/2” galvanized rod X 36 long. Make a tapered cradle to support the hull and glue padding in place. The upright must protrude through so that inverted in your truck the dolly rests on the truck bed.

This dolly works very well even in sand. You can set up your Sunfish in a remote lot and push it assembled To the launch or beach without bothering others or waiting in line. For me it was 20-30 minutes, garage to launch.

Attachments

• 081596DE-F9E4-4860-9FD7-6FD51C80C927.jpeg
    081596DE-F9E4-4860-9FD7-6FD51C80C927.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • FA4BF732-6B29-4938-8ED8-08DFDC554A5D.jpeg
    FA4BF732-6B29-4938-8ED8-08DFDC554A5D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 45EE8B57-6131-4909-8C80-FAE68E3A5994.jpeg
    45EE8B57-6131-4909-8C80-FAE68E3A5994.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • BA600E00-C141-4FD9-A218-C17E86565CCE.jpeg
    BA600E00-C141-4FD9-A218-C17E86565CCE.jpeg