Transom height

fallspiper

Hi everyone. My boat's put away for the winter but I'm already thinking spring. I'm considering a small motor as a backup for when the wind dies out on Lake Ontario now and then. Does anyone know the height of the transom on the 14.2 off hand? What is the minimum shaft length that I could get away with? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

Jason,

My 1986 Capri 14.2 transom height is 19" (measured today!).
I'm seriously considering a Honda 4 cycle engine (2 HP) but I haven't looked into shaft length yet.

Good Luck!

Warren

outboard motors

Jason, What about the new electric motor "torqeedo". It only weighs 26.9 lbs, had built in batteries that last for a couple of hours, and folds into a compact waterproof carrying container. The only drawback that I see is the price; $1599 in Westmarine. Steve Spratt

Honda 2

re/Warren's comment about the Honda 2, I have a friend who has the new 2hp 4-cycle air cooled Honda on his Capri 22. Its a great little engine. Plenty of power for lake work with the 22. Starts well, spins around for reverse while the control handle flips over for good control in that mode. Uses very little gas. At low speed the prop stops spinning (I guess it has centrifigal device inside) so it acts kind of like neutral. Weight is about the same as the electric and it doesn't need heavy batteries, though it is noiser. RK

Alternative to Outboard Power

I also recently secured a Catalina 14.2 and after much reflection & research I have decided to go with a trolling motor and a sealed AGM battery. A 32 lb thrust motor can be secured for around $100 at Walmart on-line & a very reliable AGM battery that will last about 6 years plus will provide power for about 7 hours at high speed (4 knots) and over 10 hours plus at lower speeds. The battery can be secured for about $140 at Sam's Club. The battery is about 28 lb and the motor weighs in at about 11 LB. A new outboard will run about $700 to $900 and will tip the scales at nearly 30 lb. No mess and fuss with smelly fuel and I would not be concerned about a knock down if I mount the sealed battery in the bow. I am also mounting a Hobie Baby Bob masthead float and a folding three step ladder on the transom. Just another option to consider since the power will likely be needed only for short burts to and from the boat launch or dock. At that power consumption rate the battery will not require all that many charges in a season.

My-Ria:
Did you consider putting the battery in the front cuddy? I have a Model 2 and I mounted the battery up front under the tunnel and ran the wires under the seat and came out in the stern with a plug. Now I do not have any battery or wires in the stern of the boat. I have photos if you would like to see them. Also, where do you sail on lake Erie? I live 30 minutes south of Cleveland.

Thanks
Roger L

Transom Board, Battery Box

I also chose an electric trolling motor (Minn Kota Endura 30, with 30" shaft and 30 # of thrust), powered by a Toyo 6GFM34 sealed, rechargable, deep cycle battery. The battery measures 6.25" high, 7.75"wide, and 5" deep. Both the motor and battery can be found online.

I made a transom board, with a small wooden box for the battery (see picture attached). For the first season or two, I only used the transom board when I used the motor and battery, and the clamps for the trolling motor held everything in (they press against the wood on the starboard side of the transom board, not against the fiberglass of the transom itself.)

Later, I decided to make a simple swim ladder, and the stainless steel eyebolts that hold up the swim ladder now also keep the transom board permanently in place (after this picture was taken, I built a second wooden box, on the port side, for the swim ladder, and the front of this box has a handle for pulling yourself aboard.) When I don't use the motor and battery, the small battery box is handy for water bottles, sunscreen, etc. The swim ladder stays on the boat, and is essential for me to get back in.

If you use a battery and trolling motor, it's best to use small line to keep them tied to the boat. Mine are tied to the battery box.

It's good to have the option of a motor for leaving and approaching the dock, especially if the wind is tricky, or the dock is crowded, or for when the wind dies at the far end of the lake, or for when the wind overpowers the sails. (For this, I've rigged a downhaul for the jib.) On many other days, it's best to just go sailing with a paddle as your only alternative power....

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Transom Board, Battery Box.jpg
    Transom Board, Battery Box.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 177

Back