transom crack

traversemariner

I have a crack at area of transom and hull. Separating, starts at drain plug and extends to other side any advice on repair is appreciated.

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 72
I would think that you would have to sand back a considerable amount of gelcoat down to fiberglass on both sides of the crack, and up the transom so you can lay down (epoxy) some fiberglass cloth to reinforce and build up from the crack. Once reinforced, then gel coat on top of that. Wouldn't worry too much about covering the drain plug or rudder gudgeons, you can drill them out after glassing. Looks like a job an a half, but it can be done. How did that happen, drop off the trailer?

Did it get dropped? just wondering how the crack happened.

I would gently grind away and lay some glass along the crack, then sand and gel coat on top of that. If the crack continues at the end of it, you may want to drill a hole at the end of the crack so it doesn't continue to crack. It looks like you don't need to do that though.

I think that it can be addressed from the outside only. If you are willing to put in a access port you can make it rock solid from the inside, but I don't think that is necessary unless there is movement. If there is movement then I would address it from the inside as well.

where do you put an access port on aft deck to access this . something i read stated do not put in the middle as it is not level there. Is that accurate?

what is the direction of glass fore aft or side to side, or both?
Some people use cloth and lay it opposing 45 degree directions; some people use chop strand which is what I prefer. ;)

where do you put an access port on aft deck to access this
You have to think about the traveler not getting in the way of the port, I have seen others put it in the middle. Personally, I would agree with Mashmaster and attempt to address the crack from the outside first, unless unstable. If you grind down the gelcoat on either side of the crack about an inch or so, that should be enough to provide stability to anchor the new glass to, if that makes sense. And, being careful to not open up the crack any more than what is already there. You should spend some time looking at some Sunfish posts, seems like that group is always posting about their repairs. I don't know if it's because they are terrible sailors or the boats are poorly made or what? (Just joking :confused:) You should be able to get some good ideas on how they repair fiberglass, a lot of their posts show some really good work and provide details.

Back