Training center for oldsters

mikescott

I bought a laser radial last winter and have only sailed it a few times. I would like to race it a bit, but am reticent to do so based on ................well never having raced. I was thinking about going to the Cabaret Laser Center next winter and then starting to race after that. I am curious as to whether anyone has been there and what their impressions are.

I am a bit heavy for the radial, but at 62 figure I am in this for fun and the radial should be easier for me to handle than the full rig. I really don't care if I win or not - just want to participate without making a fool of myself.

Thanks, Mike

Find a local fleet and sail with them first. Read books. Travel to a couple local regattas.

Get a year or so of practical racing experience under your belt, THEN go to a clinic. You'll get much more out of it.

Cabaret is fantastic, but can be challenging if you don't have big wave/wind experience.

You might also consider Sailfit - http://www.sailfit.com/ Kurt and Meka do a great job with their seminars, and they can handle the novice thru advanced skill levels. I can put you in touch with a couple of people who went there this year as novice Laser sailors and came back with new skill sets and heaps more confidence.

I will second torrid's advice.

Background: I participated in a Master's clinic at Cabarete this past February. We had a group of about eight 'mature' Laser sailors, including at least two GGMs (over 65). Three of us had brought Radial sails, including me (150 lbs). But it is typically windy, and the waves are for real. All of us were at least average Laser sailors at the club level. We all had a great time and learned a lot from coach Rulo.
Conclusion: I don't think you would want to spend your tuition dollars swimming while the others are scooting about, learning all these new techniques. Hence, I concur with torrid's recommendation. And 49208's advice is solid as well.

Back