Trailex Trailer Bow Cushioning?

msanford

Hey All,

One lil' minor winter project I would like to do is to put some type of rubber or durable foam cushion on the Trailex aluminum bow plate the Laser sits on. I am sure others have gotten something. I have been taping on foam but shreds up after a couple trips. I look forward what others have done in the past and where you got the materials. Or please if this is absolutely not necessary that's useful info too, but to me it looks like too hard of metal surface 1 of 3 points the boat rides on.

Thanks,
Mark

Current Trailex trailers for the Laser have a rubber piece on the bow support. I've found this to be adequate for my use. Could that piece be missing on yours trailer?

Current Trailex trailers for the Laser have a rubber piece on the bow support. I've found this to be adequate for my use. Could that piece be missing on yours trailer?

Very likely. I bought mine used in October but is a 2017 I believe. One of the runner handles is missing too. That makes sense this went MIA too.

Probably available from Trailex. I've seen the same material used as trim on sharp edges of other products but don't know where else to find it. I think its made of rubber with metal molded inside to keep it in place, though it seems that doesn't always work.

Last edited:
Probably available from Trailex. I've seen the same material used as trim on sharp edges of other products but don't know where else to find it. I think its made of rubber with metal molded inside to keep it in place, though it seems that doesn't always work.
Thanks, ya I wrote them to see if they sell just the rubber piece. Otherwise on their site they sell the complete bow plate with the cushion, If they don't come thru, I will try this one Tractor story nearby to me.

I have been using (leftover) flexible foam and tape. This won't last forever, but replacing it only takes a few minutes and won't bankrupt me.

I forget the size tubing I used, took the bow support into the hardware store with me. Clear tubing, cut the bottom half out of the center long ways. You need to cut out about the length on one side of the support. Slip it over one side from the center opening, then over the other side and recenter it. I may have used a heat gun or pulses from a blow torch to make it more flexible, boiling water would work too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I forget the size tubing I used, took the bow support into the hardware store with me. Clear tubing, cut the bottom half out of the center long ways. You need to cut out about the length on one side of the support. Slip it over one side from the center opening, then over the other side and recenter it. I may have used a heat gun or pulses from a blow torch to make it more flexible, boiling water would work too.

That's well done! BTW I reached out to Trailex and they had great customer support! If their padding does not hold up over time, I will come back to this plan for sure!

Back