Trailex Problem?

MichFish

Ok, I dropped the big money for the Cadillac of boat trailers for my new sunfish, a Trailex SUT-200-S. The trailer was shipped via UPS without a problem, assembled per instructions, all fasteners torqued per specs, tire pressure set at 15 psi.

I just made my first test run, empty trailer, no boat. From about 30 mph on up, the trailer shakes, vibrates, and even jumps off the ground (without hitting any bumps - smooth road). The vibration was so severe at times, it even blurred the mirrors on my little truck. At times it would settle down, then the vibration kicks back in, almost like some sort of harmonic vibration running up and down the whole trailer. Total test run, maybe 5 miles.

At this point, I'm afraid to even attempt to tow my boat on this trailer. I understand the trailer is designed to flex, to help absorb road shock, but does this trailer dampen road shock, or does the boat absorb the trailers vibration?

It's Saturday so I can't contact Trailex until next week. Has anyone else experienced this problem?:confused:

Put the boat on it and test it out. Mine did the same thing to the point on the ride home from the dealer one light vibrated off the trailer and all the bolts loosened up. With the boat on the trailer it was like a totally different animal. towed great, no shake.

Ok, I dropped the big money for the Cadillac of boat trailers for my new sunfish, a Trailex SUT-200-S. The trailer was shipped via UPS without a problem, assembled per instructions, all fasteners torqued per specs, tire pressure set at 15 psi.

I just made my first test run, empty trailer, no boat. From about 30 mph on up, the trailer shakes, vibrates, and even jumps off the ground (without hitting any bumps - smooth road). The vibration was so severe at times, it even blurred the mirrors on my little truck. At times it would settle down, then the vibration kicks back in, almost like some sort of harmonic vibration running up and down the whole trailer. Total test run, maybe 5 miles.

At this point, I'm afraid to even attempt to tow my boat on this trailer. I understand the trailer is designed to flex, to help absorb road shock, but does this trailer dampen road shock, or does the boat absorb the trailers vibration?

It's Saturday so I can't contact Trailex until next week. Has anyone else experienced this problem?:confused:
Oh yea! Mine started vibrating at 50 or 55 MPH without the sunfish on it. With the sunfish on it it started vibrating about 60 mph. Not as severe but still very dissappointing. My boat is now "Up North" (Douglas Lake) and I now only use the trailer as a dolly. I thought I would take the wheels in to get them balanced to see if the problem is due to the wheels or tires.
I've never seen a trailer vibrate so much and I hope someone can guide you and me to some answers.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Contaced Trailex yesterday morning (Monday) and they asked me to check a couple of items; confirm the bearings were not loose = ok. Check the tires to make sure they run true = ooohhhhh, not good. Left side tire about 1/2" run out side to side, close to a 3/4" up and down. Right side tire about 1" side to side run out, about 1/2" up and down. Rims are nice a true.

Trailex said they had an issue with their tire supplier, and are shipping a new set of tires right away. The trailer should tow nice and smooth, loaded or unloaded.

I'll report back as soon as the new tires are on.

Offramp, as a young lad, my grandparents rented a cabin on the North side of Douglas Lake for several weeks every summer. A ton of my childhood pictures are at or on Douglas Lake. My grandfather was an avid Lightning sailor.

Also, check that your tire pressure is really low, about 15 psi. It can even be lowered to 10-12 psi.
The Trailex does take getting use to. I had a Laser on a Long regular galvanized trailer and the weight of the trailer kept things calm.
The Trailex is so light that the whole deal depends upon the low tire pressure. And getting used to the whole thing sort of almost not being there, so little tongue weight, overall weight, etc.
Check that the trailer is level. If you are using a ball hitch on the pickup bumper, it may be too high in front, which limits the trailer's suspension travel.

Not sure if this helps....

But, one thing that helped my boat trailer - was having the tires re-ballanced. Just a thought....

T.

I contacted Trailex today and was informed that 2 new tires would be shipped my way today - at no charge. Now that is the way to maintain customer loyalty and satisfaction.

I probably won't be able to get the tires mounted, balanced and tested for a couple of weeks though.

I contacted Trailex today and was informed that 2 new tires would be shipped my way today - at no charge. Now that is the way to maintain customer loyalty and satisfaction.

I was expecting only new tires but today I received new tires mounted on new wheels. Thank you Trailex!:)

I will have these balanced but I won't be able to get them Up North to Douglas Lake for two or three weeks. Then I'll take a test tow.

MichFish: We are on the west side of Douglas Lake. We sailed a blue Lido 14 in the late 60s and early 70s up there. Added a Sunfish in the early 70s and then added a wind surfer in the late 70s. Used to canoe over to the north side to Reinhardt's to get a pop and candy bar.
All those sailboats are gone now except for a 1973 Sunfish that I picked up last year.
Don't know where in Northern Michigan you are at now but we have a fleet of Sunfish on Douglas Lake that race every Saturday and Tuesday starting the first Saturday of July going through Labor Day. Race starts used to be 1:00 pm but late last year in August they tried moving them back to 2:00 pm. Haven't heard yet of the starting time this year. Come on over if you are nearby.

Mike, on balancing those tires/wheels. You'er going to be hard pressed to find a shop that can do it correctly. The problem is most tire balancers require the use of the center hole to center up the tire/wheel; and those small wheels are not made so the centers are concentric. You'll need to either have them balanced on the trailer or find some one that has a lug centric adapter which mount the wheel on it by the lug nuts, and then the adapter goes on the machine.

MichFish and others.

When loading or off loading your sunfish with the hull down, the bailer may likely catch on the rear "bunk". At least mine did last weekend when I attempted to "launch" my fish from shore.
The Trailex "bunks" are positioned perpendicular to the keel rather than the parallel positioned bunks on most conventional trailers. Missing the bunk is pretty easy if you know the problem is there: either slide the sunfish slighlty to the side or lift the rear of the boat up a bit to guide the bailer past this rear bunk.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Contaced Trailex yesterday morning (Monday) and they asked me to check a couple of items; confirm the bearings were not loose = ok. Check the tires to make sure they run true = ooohhhhh, not good. Left side tire about 1/2" run out side to side, close to a 3/4" up and down. Right side tire about 1" side to side run out, about 1/2" up and down. Rims are nice a true.

Trailex said they had an issue with their tire supplier, and are shipping a new set of tires right away. The trailer should tow nice and smooth, loaded or unloaded.

I'll report back as soon as the new tires are on.
Hey MichFish. I put on one set of the new tires today and the vibration problem did not occur.
Thank you Trailex for providing the new tires/wheels without any hesitation.

Morning everyone,

Received my new tires from Trailex last week, and finally installed them on the trailer late friday evening. Took off on a test run just before dark,figers crossed. Empty trailer,,,,, 20 mph,,,,,, 40 mph,,,,, 50mph,,,,, then 70 mph,,,,, smooth as can be.:D

Loaded the fish on the trailer Saturday morning, another test drive,,, nice and smooth. Problem solved.

Offramp, sent you a PM.

Rick

Morning everyone,

Received my new tires from Trailex last week, and finally installed them on the trailer late friday evening. Took off on a test run just before dark,figers crossed. Empty trailer,,,,, 20 mph,,,,,, 40 mph,,,,, 50mph,,,,, then 70 mph,,,,, smooth as can be.:D

Loaded the fish on the trailer Saturday morning, another test drive,,, nice and smooth. Problem solved.

Offramp, sent you a PM.

Rick

MichFish Strange how your replacement tires got delayed and I ended up with an extra set. But the good news is our trailer vibration problems got solved. I can't believe how bad those original tires were that came with my trailer. Trailex's tire supplier really had one or two crappy tires for my trailer but nowhere near as bad as yours based on your lower speed severe vibration.

Saw your PM from June 1 or 2 but nothing new today. Sending a PM in a few minutes.

Back