Trailers and Hull Damage

Craiger

I just bought my first Laser which has only been sailed once. It did not come with a trailer and since I am sailing recreationally by myself I need to get it to the local lakes and launch it solo. I have an old trailer for an FJ that I could modify with bunks to carry the Laser, but I have read that this could damage the hull. I am weighing the cost of a gunwale hung trailer compared to what it would cost to modify my current trailer. It seems as if there are lots of people hauling Lasers on bunks.

My question is, has anyone ever seen a damaged hull from carrying a Laser on bunks? What exactly has happened to the hull?

Any first-hand experiences would be appreciated by a newbie.

Thanks

I have seen one, and it was a horrible sight. The boat had been strapped on a standard small trailer, with 'bunks' that were sort of in parallel with the keel of the boat.. IE 2X4 lumber with carpet on it.. the bunks were about 2 feet long.. and the hull was completely caved in on one side. It was concave where it was supposed to be slightly convex, and this was with the strap tension removed. I think it had been strapped to the trailer over a long period of time ( no proof of this ).. and had permanently deformed.

Bunks made of 2X6 that are 90 degrees to the axis of the keel would be much better.. cut to fit the hull outline, but I don't have a hull outline so...

I have a modified trailer, with a wood crossbar that has vertical 3/4 thick lumber which catches the boat under the gunwale. I'll try to post a picture sometime, but it's fairly easy to do.. Put a 2X6 across the back end of the trailer, just behind the fenders, and project the gunwale onto that board. Then mount a piece of 1X6 on each side vertically, and have that slip into the gunwale slot. A bit of carpet helps here.

It's a cheap fix, I am now working on a much better one using a piece of 1X1 steel tubing, and some adjustable gunwale mounts out of steel ( a long T bolt with foam on top ).. I'll take pictures of all these adventures one of these days..

But a short answer is NEVER use a trailer like it comes from the factory unless the boat is just sitting on the bunks and you are pulling it 100 yards to the water.. no straps..

Thanks Richard---

That is the kind of evidence I need to convince my wife that I need another trailer!

Anyone else seen (or done) anything like this?

Anyone used a standard trailer for years with no damage?

Craig

spread the load...spread the load

spread the load

spread the load

great big well padded bunks that support the boat in as many places as possible. Try to put supports under the back wall of the cockpit and under the mast step and under the trunk and make the supports huge and wide and soft and make certain they spread the load over huge wide areas...

or

just make a trailer with great big wide supports

or

Make a trailer that spreads the load all over the bottom of the boat...

and never leave a boat sitting on wet carpet....

never

ever

not for a single overnight.

nope

don't do t

and spread the load on that trailer

Anyone used a standard trailer for years with no damage?
FWIW, I'm a PURELY recreational sailor. I've kept my old 1973 boat on a trailer for 20 years, with 2x4 carpeted bunks, maybe 30" long. I pull it maybe 5-20 minutes to a local lake, with a hold down strap over the top. Maybe 1-2x/year I pull it maybe 100-200 miles for a vacation. I can see where the hull shape is changed - pushed in maybe an inch or so, more on 1 side than the other. I've had the "spread the load" task on my to-do list for YEARS.

If I was still racing, I'd certainly agree that the change in hull shape is "UGLY." Would certainly take a couple boat length's off me over a race. But as a pure-fun sailor not competing with anybody, it has absolutely no impact on the boat + the fun factor.

Now don't misunderstand- I still have the "spread the load" task on my list. Maybe get to it this winter. But my boat sails great, there's no structural damage. It isn't competitive for racing, but it wouldn't be competitive even if I did the trailer right, and I don't race.

Just one guy's experience.

In my mind, it comes down to how much time and $$$ you want to spend now and on each trip (and do a smaller degree, your ability to move the boat around by yourself)

You haven't mentioned how you plan to actually launch - ie do you have a dolly or are you planning to launch right from the trailer or ?

Once you tell us that, I think we can give you better answers..

... I have an old trailer for an FJ that I could modify with bunks to carry the Laser...

Craiger, I just re-read your orig post. Seems to me that if you're modifying an FJ trailer to carry the Laser, it would be essentially the same amount of work to modify it in a way which "SPREADS THE LOAD," as to do anything else with it. Folks have already pointed out that the strongest points in the Laser hull are under the aft end of the cockpit, the daggerbd trunk, and the mast step. Just get structure under those as you modify the trailer for the Laser, and you should be good.

Unless you'd RATHER get a new trailer, in which case we'll steer our efforts+ comments to support that contention for your wife's consumption. ;)

On launching off a trailer: I've always launched off a trailer, using both ramps and harder beaches. I've always been able to back the car to get the trailer down to the water. I don't put the trailer wheels into the water cuz I don't need to, to get the boat off + back on. And by keeping the trailer wheels outta the water, I don't have to repack the wheel bearings but every 10-15 yrs or so. I can push+pull the boat+trailer by hand if I have to, but all the ramps+ beaches around here are firm enuf ground- not deep sand. I can pull the boat back up onto the trailer by hand, even with the wheels at the water's edge. It's always worked great around here.

I planned on launching from the trailer. I do not own a dolly.

Does a gunwale hung trailer launch any different on a boat ramp?

I planned on launching from the trailer. I do not own a dolly.

Does a gunwale hung trailer launch any different on a boat ramp?

Unless the supports fold down and out of the way, it's a PIA to try and launch off the back of a gunwale hung trailer (unless you completely sink the trailer and float the boat off). A pivoting bow attachment makes it somewhat easier.. see http://www.apsltd.com/c-2186-laser-dollies-trailers-travel-accessories.aspx and look at the Kittyhawk, as you can put the trailer parr. to the water's edge, get the bow on the support and then pick up the back and swing it around and over one support..

Given that you want to launch off the trailer, I would build cradle style bunks from doubled up 2x10's and get them under the back of the cockpit and mast step as Gouv mentioned above.. You can then slide the boat on and off..

If you search the threads here, you'll see quite a number of trailers that have been modified in a variety of ways..

Thanks for the input. It has been very helpful.

I have successfully bribed my wife with a trip to the bistro down the street from the marina to buy a Kitty Hawk!

Cheap price to pay for trailering security.

Unless the supports fold down and out of the way, it's a PIA to try and launch off the back of a gunwale hung trailer (unless you completely sink the trailer and float the boat off). ...

I haven't had too much trouble launching off my aluminum gunwale trailer.
You do need enough depth to float the boat off the supports, but mine only needs about 2 feet of water so it's not too bad.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

So as I am assembling my new Kitty Hawk, I notice that there is nothing on the trailer to hold the bow down (like the Trailex).

What have people who own Kitty Hawks found is the best way to secure the bow?

I have a pair of foam blocks for the spars, so that will require an additional strap in front of the cockpit. Is that adequate?

I would like the Laser to stay on the trailer during its first trip to the lake!

Hey
Do yourself (and your back and hull) a favour. Get a triangular planform dolly/launching trolley that supports the hull clear by posts each side and at bow. Arrange itso you can drag the dolly with the boatattached onto whatever trailer u use. (triangular "A frame" dolley much better for dragging up on trailers and docks t to sink it and post if needed than "T section" styles that can tip and let damage to hull during slide - also better for launch retrieval because can put your foot on the A ) Can make these yourself and use plastic wheel barrow wheels

On roofracks or bed dolly rides upside down on hull - but need help to unload

Back