Trailering Sunfish

seaain

First off, new here, and very glad to have found this resource. Have been sailing larger dinghies (think two crew one design, sub-16 footers), but have decided to downsize as the kids lose interest and move on.

I now have a very nice 1981, close to mint sunfish. I really do not want to car top the boat. I would do this in a pinch, but I am getting up in age and really do not want any accidents, etc. I need a nice sedate trailer option to get the boat to and from the lake a couple of times a year, perhaps with a trip to Champlain once a year (5 hours).

In looking through the options, I see that I could go with a Trailex SUT-220-S. Seems a popular and widely used model. I would tend to use it with the deck down. My understanding is that the bunks will adjust flat.

I also came across this the Right On trailer with dolly and the multi-sport. I think the dolly system is nice, but more than I need. Frankly, it does not look all that trustworthy.

For 599.00 I am tempted to look very closely at the multi-sport model. It has cross bars that I could put pool noodles on and strap the sunfish deck down to. The cross bars would also afford me a stable place to put the spars/spar bag an perhaps some other gear. Best seen here: (Instructions) https://www.rightontrailer.com/wp-c.../Multi-Sport-Assembly-Instructions-Rev-A1.pdf

(To me it looks like one of the cross bars can be placed further back, and I would try that or ask if I could purchase a third bar).

In addition to the sunfish, I have a couple of Kayaks that I like to transport, and there while light and relatively easy to get up on the roof, it tends to be a two-man operation. The crossbars on this trailer are designed to work with various roof rack accessories - I am certain my Malone system would work on this. That means I could also use this easily for transporting my Kayaks.

Any thoughts? Would love some input. What do you use, what works for you, any other options?

IMHO, most trailers are "sprung" too heavily for Sunfish. My third Sunfish (of 6) was purchased with a ¼-ellipical spring trailer, and handled the Sunfish just right. (Quarter-ellipticals are half of the single spring offered by rightontrailer).

That old trailer needed a major de-rusting, or I would've kept it.

I have no idea of its origin, but it carried the Sunfish without beating up on it. Maybe, as suggested in another (motorcycle) site, simply grind or cut the rest off.
PB290017-005.JPG

You might look at a utility trailer and customize your rack for kayaks, bikes, camping gear etc... See the dolly at the end of our blog post Trailer and Dolly Extravaganza.

utility Sunfish dolly.jpg

More info later.

Cheers
Kent

John boat trailers work well, long trailers for light boats. We have had good luck with longer jet ski trailers and we add trailer guide bars, crossbeams and pool noodles to them. Between the trailer weight and the racks and one or two boats we have a smooth ride, and I'm happier with that that watching the lightweight Gen 1 Trailex bounce around down the highway. Longest haul to date was 1174 miles from Niagara Sailing Center on Grand Island, NY down to Pensacola, FL.

IMG_0997.jpg

Or get the Skipper to hold the boat down...

Audrey Zip day 11 trailer sailor.jpg

I used to roll long distances on 8 inch tires but I'm wary of that now, unless they are upgraded to a higher C or D load rating or I have the bigger footprint 8s, the 5.70 x 8. Keep in mind many trailer tires are barely rated to 70 mph. And the air pressure must be kept high to carry the weight at that speed.

Speaking of tires, it's the time of year to check them. There is a 4 digit code on the side that is the week/year of manufacture, for example 3105 would be the 31st week (August) of 2005. Those are too old. Tires should be replaced around 6 years even if they still look good, the sidewalls stiffen and that is the key part of the tire.

IMG_5116.jpg

I used to roll long distances on 8 inch tires but I'm wary of that now, unless they are upgraded to a higher C or D load rating or I have the bigger footprint 8s, the 5.70 x 8. Keep in mind many trailer tires are barely rated to 70 mph. And the air pressure must be kept high to carry the weight at that speed.
Can you imagine the RPMs those 8-inch tires must be turning up? :eek:

And their shapes? :(

I have a Right On trailer with the dolly and it is a great trailer, so their version without the dolly feature is probably good too. However, I believe it may be pricey compared to other non-dolly trailers.

I now have a very nice 1981, close to mint sunfish. I really do not want to car top the boat. I would do this in a pinch, but I am getting up in age and really do not want any accidents, etc. I need a nice sedate trailer option to get the boat to and from the lake a couple of times a year, perhaps with a trip to Champlain once a year (5 hours).
I understand, but "there's more than one way to skin a cat":

I have an idea!

At one location, I've got a very handy oak tree branch to use with a sling and a come-along. The branch is pretty big, used formerly to pull automobile engines, and has extended its (welcome) self from a neighbor's tree! This sturdy branch has been left alone, as it shades most of the house—(summers).

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 622018 84559 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 622018 84559 AM.bmp.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 53

Back