trailering options

NickJB

I just got my first laser from a local guy, and I can't wait to get out sailing. My problem is i need a trailer. The boat was sold with a Seitech dolly, so I want to utilize this into the trailering. I have read the forum posts about trailer-dolly combos, but trailer length was never addressed. What length of trailer is adequate? Would a 12 foot trailer work, or even a jet ski trailer as I read someone else used? I found a trailer that is 12 feet overall at west marine, but I am unsure if it would work. Here is the link. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/247274/10001/843/11210/17
One of the factors would also be driving maneuverability. I was told that a longer trailer tongue is easier to maneuver, but I have never driven with a trailer, so all insight is helpfull. I am in the Seattle area if anyone knows of a specific place or option for a trailer.
Thanks for all the help,
Nick

Don't get that trailer! For the same money, you can get a purpose built laser trailer.

I like the Kitty Hawk trailer. The Trailex trailer is another option.

Both support the laser from under the gunwales, which preserves the shape of the hull.

The other advantage of the Kitty Hawk is that it tracks so well. In general when you drive with a trailer, you need to give all turns a wide berth. The KH tracks so closely, I hardly need to worry about it. It is also light weight.

I used to have a trailer similar to the one you bought. I got rid of it and replaced it with a Kitty Hawk.

As for the Seitech, I just put mine in the bed of my truck. You can also strap them to the deck of the laser, upside down.

hey nickjb, congrats on the new boat and welcome, i use a similar trailer and it works o.k, but for that price you can get a new kittyhawk and they do work better for the laser, another option is to find a used small trailer for 200-250 that would work, check out harbor freight in renton, they have some small trailers for 300.00 that would work with the laser, give me a call if you want to go out and you can take a look at my set up, i,m in des moines. i put my seitch dolly upside down on top of my boat.....terry.....878-0112,hm..........cell.....206-510-4831...

i trailer my boat deck down on a regular trailer and i strap the dolly on top of it. it works great as long as you have someone else to help you get it off.

That trailer would work OK, but for the money I too think you can do better.

A welded together will usually be stronger than a bolt together trailer. If you are traveling short distances, it is not that critical, but if you are traveling many miles down the interstate, a stronger trailer is better for boat support.

My trailer, a Load Rite, is about 14' long, and I have the back 2 feet of the boat hanging off the back of the trailer. I build a storage box that the boat sits on. My storage box is 10' long and 48" wide (the width of the trailer.) If you are planning on building a box, a stronger trailer is preferred.

BTW, the storage box holds rolled sails, spars, boards, and dolly (taken apart.) Everything is locked up, so as not to disappear from motel parking lots.

Hi! I am going to get a laser soon ,so I am looking for ideas as well, If my dad gives me his utility trailer I will do somthing like thiswww.jdemc.com/laser/dollies.htm
I also saw a picture in my complete book of laser saling by Dick Tillman, I can't seem to get picture to this thread So I will discribe it , It is a small boat trailer with two fixed bunkers maybe one in the middle(They used metal) the dollys axel rests on the bunkers with the tounge rests on the trailer tounge , this picture the dolly wheels are just outside the trailer fenders, It look like the dolly and boat slide up on the trailer I have seen these trailers for $100 and up. I hope this makes sense

Hi! I saw a thread in here, go to (search), type in Trailering, there will be one called Roll-on trailer for seitech dolly this will give the picture of what I was trying to explain and there are some self made ones as well. Just some Ideas

Hi
Depending on your car you could car top it. I have a kitty hawk that i love, and i have a trailex sunfish trailer from my first laser that i converterd to have bunks. itas not that hard too do, but if you have the money, i'd get a kitty hawk laser trailer, they protect the boats lots more.

Back