trailer

Alcort59224

I'm looking for a small trailer for my sunfish. My only real requirement other than being suitable for a sunfish is that it has to be cheap. I'm a high school student and I really don't have much to spend at all. There's really no way I can afford a new trailer and I haven't found anything on craigslist that would work. My question is that if anyone knows a source where I might find what I'm looking for please let me know, and how reasonable would it be to convert a small utility trailer to be used for the boat because it seems that its easier to find used utility trailers than boat trailers. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
-Eric

you should be able to attach some 2x6's lengthwise on a flatbed trailer for bunks with some cutting to shape. i have a 12' sailboat on one right now. not a big project. some cam straps and yer good to go. might i also suggest buying a small rowboat and trailer and keeping the trailer and reselling the boat to pay for the trailer. i've done that many times.

My only real requirement other than being suitable for a sunfish is that it has to be cheap...and how reasonable would it be to convert a small utility trailer to be used for the boat because it seems that its easier to find used utility trailers than boat trailers. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
-Eric
1) Among utility trailers, I'd select one with 12" wheels over 8" wheels. (I replaced the 12-inchers with 13" wheels, but the tougher replacement 13" tires are getting hard to find nowadays).

2) Tires like to be "worked", so an all-around-usage utility trailer might just give longer life to whatever rubber you have on one trailer.

3) For the occasional comfortable ride for your Sunfish, you could temporarily "liberate" some chaise-lounge cushions or a bunkbed mattress each time you trailer the Sunfish. :)

I'm looking for a small trailer for my sunfish. ...I haven't found anything on craigslist that would work.
Considering your location, a boat, utility, or even a snowmobile trailer shouldn't be too difficult to come by for around $200 ... it's just that right now might not be the best time to shop for such an item.

2189799045_d6d682d15a.jpg

Come late Winter / early Spring you'll probably find just what you are looking for by watching the ads for only a few weeks.

. . . or were you looking to load up the boat and find warmth and sunshine immediately?

sunfish_sailboats.jpg

Keep checking Craigslist, just about any trailer of the 12/14' size can be made to work. Should be able to snag one for about $150.

If you're in High School, why not take advantage of the Metal Shop tools and weld one up yourself. Would not take much in way of raw materials. Wheels and axles can be found at any Tractor Supply Store or 'Mom and Pop So-So Tools Shop.'

I'll be pulling a sunfish from Missouri to near Cortland, NY around Memorial Day, maybe a week or so after. Once I get the boat to NY I won't need the trailer and I'll make you a good deal on it.

Let me know if you're interested.

Randy

Back