Trailer Vibration

torrid

Just sailing
My Kitty Hawk has always had a tendancy to vibrate at highway speeds. I have found keeping the tire pressure low and driving no faster than 65 kept it under control. However, now it has gotten really bad.

I've had the trailer ten years, and I bet I've put 35-40k miles on it. I last repacked the bearing abaout a year ago. It still has the the original bearings, but they looked fine. I also replaced the tires, and they seem to have no abnormal wer. I'm going to go ahead and replace the bearings (and races), and get the wheels balanced., but I'm thinking of other causes.

I did notice that on the leaf springs, the bushing on one side has more play than the other. When I wiggle it with my hand, it sounds similar to the racket I here when drivng down the road. I am unsure if the problem is the the bushing is worn, or if the bracket on the trailer frame has wallered out. The former, I can probably get fixed. The latter, I probably can't fix.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Wish I had a good answer for you. My Trailex does that, right at 50 mph. But stops at 55 and settles down. Very strange....

balance the tires/wheels. Especially if the vibration starts, then stops at a higher speed. That a symptom of harmonics.

Al

Well it sounds like your issue is more likely the springs than the bearings, but on the bearings keep in mind that too much bearing preload is better than not enough. You don't want them loose and rattling!

On the leaves - do they sell replacement bushings? Will the generic ones from auto parts stores fit? Can you just tighten the hell out of the bolts?

I don't have that trailer so I can't picture the bushing/spring-hanger setup

Edit: Oh - also - if you end up needing parts that you can't find, etrailer.com is a good site

It looks to be a fairly standard nylon bushing. I'm going to the auto parts store tomorrow to look for a replacement.

well i think it could be a mixture of boath you really shouldnt be putting road trailers in water. seperate launch trolly it the best thing ever invented. trailer bearings dont get hot anymore like they used to when theyre gone because they are desinghed not too because too manney were welding themselvs up and causing the wheel to fly off so the only thing to do is to lift up your trailer and see if there is anny moovement when you moove the wheel side to side. also i think tracking is a good option. also if you have tapered bearings you could tighten up the castleated nut a bit more.

Back