Trailer Questions

barldt

I recently was given a 1994 Capri 14, but it came without a trailer. I have an old trailer that was used for a Laser and would like to adapt it to the Capri. Can someone possibly describe for me the configuration of the bunks on the trailer. Would like to know how far apart to place them, how for back from the bow they are, etc. Also, what do you use to support the front of the boat?

Also, can anyone recommend a trailer for the capri 14. I'd really like to get a galvanized trailer that was designed for the boat as I don't think that the old trailer I have is adequate for long distance hauling.

By the way, I sailed this boat for the first time last week and was impressed!

Thanks much!

Brian

Hey Brian,
I don't have either of my two trailers with me right now so I can't give you exact measurements, but since I'm transitioning the C-14 from one to the other, here is what I know (or think...;)).

Our 1994 Capri came on a steel trailer which was never designed for salt water. Although it is structurally sound for now, it is rusting badly and it's only a matter of time. I bought a second-hand galvanized trailer for $200 off Craig's List. It is already set up for a Jon boat so all it lacks is the mast support which I can un-bolt from the old trailer. The new trailer also has a longer tongue which keeps towing vehicles further out of the water when launching the boat.

The bunks on the original trailer are straight 2x4s about 60 inches long, bolted on edge to angle brackets with the top edge covered in carpet. They are spaced about 30" apart with the rearward end located about 6" behind the lights. When loaded, the boat's transom is about 2' behind the lights. The only other support for the boat is at the bow where it fits into a rubber "V" bolted to the winch/mast support. This V is standard equipment on most boat trailers and intersects the Capri just above the winching U-bolt.

As for the actual distance between the bow support and the bunks, I can't remember off hand. The rule of thumb is to place the boat on the trailer far enough forward to put about 10% of the total boat/trailer weight on the trailer coupler. In our case it's about 60 lbs. This means depending on the actual layout of your new trailer, you may want to shift the boat forward or rearward to find a comfortable coupler weight. More than 75 lbs is too hard to lift and move around, and less than 50 is likely dangerous.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Back