Trailer or Car Top?

Radial 171107

Hey Guys ( my 1st Post of many i hope),

I'm just confirming a deal on a newish Laser radial and im really am stuck on weather to car top or to trail my boat. I heard a pretty bad story about a boat coming off a car roof and getting pretty badly damaged. But then i saw my local trailer prices (Way over AUD $1000 for a good sturdy trailer). One of my mates said that trailing on some surfaces can give you paint chips. any help please?

Thanks

Radial 171107 said:
Hey Guys ( my 1st Post of many i hope),

I'm just confirming a deal on a newish Laser radial and im really am stuck on weather to car top or to trail my boat. I heard a pretty bad story about a boat coming off a car roof and getting pretty badly damaged. But then i saw my local trailer prices (Way over AUD $1000 for a good sturdy trailer). One of my mates said that trailing on some surfaces can give you paint chips. any help please?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I car top my Laser all the time. We have a rack and make sure the boat is well secured. It's best to have the pressure points right in front and back of the cockpit, I believe. We tie a line to the bow eye and a strap over the hull to attach to the rack.

I also trail the boat sometimes. It's important to support the boat under the gunwale when doing so, and a bottom cover helps then too.

If you have room to store the trailer it is a very convenient way to store and transport the boat. The best place to support an upside down laser is at the mast tube and at the rear edge of the cockpit. This is not easily accomplished on most cars. I car topped a laser for years on a sedan that could not support the boat in the ideal spot. I never noticed any damage to the boat.

I tied my boat to the car with:

1. A line at each rack thrown over the boat to hold the laser secure. I added a pruchase with a slip knot and really tightened these lines down.
2. A line from the bow to the front bumber I made snug, just enough too keep the laser from lifting up, but not so tight as to bend the boat or lift it off of the rear rack.
3. A line through the bow hook to the front rack to keep the laser from shifting forward in a panic stop.

Depending on the width and design of your racks you may need to take special precaution to keep the boat from shifting side to side. I prefer to use line to tie my boats down, but many people like straps. I did not tie a line through the gudgeons because I did not want them to be damaged in the event of a panic stop. Always check your boat and adjust the tie downs frequently.

I now cartop my boat, as I dont have any storage at home for a trailer. I got some purpose made straps, use one at each rack, and tighten them down as tight as poss.

I load the trolley on top, and strap that down just snuggly enough to stop it moving around too much.
Then I run a line from the trolley handle down to the towing eye under the car bumper. as has been mentioned previously, not too tight!

At the stern I use a strap round the towhitch, with a flat hook over the hull/deck join in the centre. This one is also just firm.

I've never experienced too much movement, and have driven from the top of Wales right down most of England to Bristol, as well as loads of local events. The only pain in the butt is where to strap the spars, as they dont quite fit in the mondeo along with 2 adults, baby, and pushchair! ;)

Back