Trailer converted to fit a Laser??

Good Day

I am asking for your help. I have attached some pics of a trailer that I have just finished converting to a Laser trailer. It use to have rollers and bunks, it was used for an Albacore. It has not been on the road since 1973.

I looked at pics of Kitty hawks and Trailex trailers and wanted one of these for a new boat (future purchase) but I am suffering from sticker shock. Upon findind out the price I decided to have a go at the conversion. Cost has been around $75.00 CAN. including welding and lights. The trailer was almost free (i'm refinishing a centerboard and rudder for an Albacore in exchange.)

The questions I have are:

1. Is there enough support for the boat or will I do damage??

2. Is there anything that I need to add to make it better.

Thanks in advance for your input

Attachments

• Trailer Bow 1 small.JPG
    Trailer Bow 1 small.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Trailer Bow 2 small.JPG
    Trailer Bow 2 small.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Trailer Rear View Small.JPG
    Trailer Rear View Small.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Trailer side view Small.JPG
    Trailer side view Small.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Trailer side Support Hull Lifted small.JPG
    Trailer side Support Hull Lifted small.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 86
Looks like you did a great job. Regarding the bow make sure the rail is taking most of the weight not the bow. On your side supports make sure they are not pushing in on the hull and you might want to pad around the sharp metal edges for protection when you put in on and off. Finally since it was built for an Albacore that weighs at least twice as much as a Laser you might want to take out one of the leaves in the springs so its not so stiff....

I second Scott's caution about the support under the rails. I rigged my trailer to hold a Seitech dolly which then supported the boat. One day I stored it with the dolly's "outriggers" in the up position instead of the entire strap supporting the hull - they wore right through the hull creating some major leakage!

Thanks for your input. I padded the bars as suggested and took the boat on a 60 mile trip to the storage lacation for winter:confused: and both boat and trailer traveled well.

Thanks again for the help.

Back