Trailer bunks?

JohnnyVan

I am going to outfit my trailer with bunks this weekend.
I bought swivel bakets so I can adjust the bunks as flat as possible against the hull.
Are 2X4s wide enough or should I install 2X6s. I will also be adding padding and carpet.

Regards,
JV

I bought swivel bakets so I can adjust the bunks as flat as possible against the hull.
Are 2X4s wide enough or should I install 2X6s. I will also be adding padding and carpet.

Regards,
JV
Consider thinner boards, like 5/4". (Spoken: "five-quarters-inch"). They're "springier" and they'll naturally conform to the hull--if you're towing your Sunfish right-side up.

My BIL uses two 2x8s on his trailer, but his MacGregor weighs 2 tons! :eek:

I tend to think a sunfish is too light to even bend 5/4 boards. I think you need to get into the 300lb range for that, given the average span. That said, the 5/4 boards would be good for pre-bending with a middle support ("pulling" downwards) to give a nice curve to fit the hull. Plus they'd most likely be pressure treated as that's a popular size for outside patio decks, etc. Judicious use of bunk carpeting will help the fit too.

I tend to think a sunfish is too light to even bend 5/4 boards. I think you need to get into the 300lb range for that, given the average span. That said, the 5/4 boards would be good for pre-bending with a middle support ("pulling" downwards) to give a nice curve to fit the hull. Plus they'd most likely be pressure treated as that's a popular size for outside patio decks, etc. Judicious use of bunk carpeting will help the fit too.
I like foam pads used for kneeling while gardening.
6B2C62D4-36A5-47BA-ACF9-FB15206C8B66.jpeg

Jolts from trailering could put a Sunfish in the 300-pound range! :eek:

Can't say I've ever seen 5/4s that wasn't pressure treated. But I've bought trailers with 2x4 bunks that had rotted--allowing the steel brackets to contact the hull. :(

How about a cushion of outdoor "artificial grass" to cover the wood bunks? A Sunfish should slide easily when launching or retrieving--especially when wet.

Or, instead of wood bunks, Trex or Azek "artificial wood". Yes, expensive, but you don't need much of it. :)

I got mucho Trex when spotting some long boards sticking out of a dumpster--curbside of new house construction. Some carpenter made an error involving hundreds of board-feet of Trex! :oops:

Jolts from trailering could put a Sunfish in the 300-pound range! :eek:
Of course, but I'd think the objective is not to have a single, small contact point of the Sunfish hull, bending the boards. Already formed or pre bent bunks would distribute the support. But I think I'm stating the obvious.
That "fake" decking stuff would probably be ok....but the stuff I've seen isn't as flexible and more apt to break and fold...kinda like bending a plastic straw.

I think the trex boards would be perfect but I could not find an easy way to heat it up evenly to bend it to the right curve.
JV

Regards,
JV
May be a little late to respond.... I just refurbished an old trailer for my Sunfish. I used 3/4 plywood x 4" x 4' for flexibility and put on several coats of poly. I purchased marine bunk board carpet and a backpacking/camping 1/2" closed cell sleeping pad. The top of the boards have the foam pad overlapping the edges and then are wrapped with the marine carpet. I stapled the carpet to the bottom of the boards-- not an easy task, but it is working well. Flexible and padded.

I haven't tried to make a permanent bend to Trex, but it could be easily pre-tensioned at its mountings.

A carpentry "trick" would be to make a series of shallow lateral cuts.

backpacking/camping 1/2" closed cell sleeping pad. The top of the boards have the foam pad overlapping the edges and then are wrapped with the marine carpet. I stapled the carpet to the bottom of the boards-- not an easy task, but it is working well. Flexible and padded.
Good suggestion.

IDK if they're closed-cell--they might hold water if exposed a long time--but they are large and inexpensive.

And you've just reminded me of the closed-cell packing inside those cheap, orange, Class II PFDs.

Most states require PFDs be "in good condition", but "the condition" is seldom the interior! (Closed cell packing, which is very durable stuff--I shipped delicate items with these as packing).

Recycled from torn/chewed/stained Class II life preservers, they're sized about 10x5x3/8ths inches each, and will last and last!

Sprayed with Great Stuff, they can be used to bolster hammered-down white Styrofoam blocks (the upper surfaces).

Use under bunk carpeting, or make the bunks conform better to a Sunfish--under the carpeting.

I forgot about Gunksman's use of plywood. Strong and relatively inexpensive, it is desirably flexible!

I've seen roofing plywood of 3/8-inch :eek:, but Florida hurricane code may require 1/2". So manufacturers sell 17/32"! :rolleyes:

Anyway, 3/4" plywood seems on the heavy side--but it is "bendy". I'm not sure if you can buy "Interior-grade" any more. (Not that you'd want it).

Some carpenter made an error involving hundreds of board-feet of Trex! :oops:
My "late" apologies to the carpenter.
The change may have been due to color--or that--Trex, exposed to the sun, can be used to fry bacon! :oops:

Back