Trailer bunk location

Benny Hooper

I believe I read on the forum the bunks run the length of the cockpit on the outer edge of the hull. Correct? I plan on making 6” carpeted bunks with padding. Any suggestions on padding.

My trailer is here and my Sunfish is there. Can anyone tell me the measurement from the bow to the leading edge of the cockpit and the cockpit length? Thanks.

I just redid an old rusty trailer and fashioned new bunks out of 2 x 6 wood on edge. They are about 5 feet long and I traced the shape of the hull, scribing with a compass, so the shape of the hull fits the bunk for the full length. I also used a belt sander with 36 grit paper to slope the new bunks so the boat sits flush to the top of each new bunk. I also added a new cross way bunk about 18 inch long as a midway support that is also shaped to the hull. The bow sits in a rubber stop near the winch. I just pulled it about 600 miles this summer and had no issues. The previous owner had 3 1/2 foot long bunks out of straight 2 x 4's and it was obvious the boat/bunk contact area was iffy at best.

I also added a new cross way bunk about 18 inch long as a midway support that is also shaped to the hull. The bow sits in a rubber stop near the winch. I just pulled it about 600 miles this summer and had no issues. The previous owner had 3 1/2 foot long bunks out of straight 2 x 4's and it was obvious the boat/bunk contact area was iffy at best.
Back to "The Hammock"...

I would have notched the bunks enough for two 18-inch lengths of firehose--but I cartop my Sunfishes--so what do I know? :rolleyes:

(See firehose ad in "Sunfish for Sale" forum).

Last edited:

Back