Towing laser

bradb555 said:
Any suggestions Re: towing a laser?
I plan of towing my laser aprox 25 miles across open seas to Catalina from Long Beach.

Does anyone have experience with this tye of towing?

I figure, I'd remove the mast and dagger board and tie the rudder to ctr. I'd also use a shock spring in the tow line.
The big question is, where is a good place to tie the tow line? Is the bow eye strong enough? Any suggestions?
I used to tow the Laser but got sick of it. So I got a Mercury 50 and built a holder on the laser transom. Now I just use the Laser with its own outboard. It goes well but is a little easy to tip.

Merrily

Administrator
Skipper Johnson said:
I used to tow the Laser but got sick of it. So I got a Mercury 50 and built a holder on the laser transom. Now I just use the Laser with its own outboard. It goes well but is a little easy to tip.
I don't know where you've been, Skizza, but I've missed you!

Hekaleka has it close to correct. Bare hulls with everything in the tow craft and bailers OPEN. Tow line around forward end of hiking strap, than through the bow eye to the towing vessel. In the absence of wind driven chop and boat wakes, it's easy to tow at speeds in the mid-teens. Otherwise, slow it down to reduce hull stress. I have seen top coaches tow fast like this in chop and had not heard of any damage, but it cannot be good even with no weight in the boat, and it is painful to watch. This is our standard method of getting back after a long downwind training day; strip the boats and tow back through the ICW or Long Beach Harbor.