Towing a boat with a VW Beetle

Lafayette Mike

My daughter is thinking about purchasing a Laser sized boat. She currently owns a 2000 VW New Beetle. She'd probably have to tow the boat to a lake 10-15 miles away. Anyone towed a boat with a Beetle before? I though I saw somewhere else that the Beetle manual prohibits towing.

Thanks

not sure about the Beetle, but I know that with my Mazda 3, the user manual (in the US) prohibits towing, but the European models have no issue with it. not sure if there are US regulations that prevent it?

if your trailer is not that heavy, I personally don't think it should be a problem to tow it with your VW Beetle, especially if it is only 15 miles or so.

cheers,
tag

I have heard the same about VWs, that's why I'm curious to see who has actually done it and if they encountered any problems.

Thanks

Mike

not sure about the Beetle, but I know that with my Mazda 3, the user manual (in the US) prohibits towing, but the European models have no issue with it. not sure if there are US regulations that prevent it?

if your trailer is not that heavy, I personally don't think it should be a problem to tow it with your VW Beetle, especially if it is only 15 miles or so.

cheers,
tag

a 97-2010 vw beetle is the same as a vw golf mk4 and i have seen both with tow bars and a beetle would be more than adiquate for towing a laser sised boat infact i have seen a beetle towing a small caravan on the motarway thats in the uk i dont know what the us laws on towing are

check the owners manual for tow capacities to be sure you are within the limits of the vehicle.

This brings back memories when I towed my sunfish with a 1980s Fiat. Those where the days when you only worried about who was going to bring the Reunite on ice .... So nice.

I think you can absolutely tow a laser with a VW beatle, I know a few people that regularly tow with smaller cars and less HP

I still have the little towing gadget that went on the back of my 1966 VW Beatle. Towed a trailer all the way from Washington, DC to Southern California.
Then towed a classic Moth all over So. Cal. for two years. No problems. Your VW has much more power than that little engine of the past.
Dave Ellis

thanks for the input everyone. She now owns a Precision P-13 (laser type) boat and is getting the hitch installed.......Now if only the ice on the lake will melt! :)

Back