TotalProtect - I can’t seem to get it to lay smooth

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
Now that I have a few coats of TotalProtect on Fishnet, I’m still stymied by a texture. I bought a gallon of the two part from Jamestown, but when I opened the main can, it was as thick as peanut butter. I thinned it with the recommended 200 thinner, and I thought it was the right consistency? I used the roller cover that was included, but that left a bumpy orange peel like texture. For the second coat I used a solvent resistant foam roller, but still that left a texture. For the third coat I used a good quality brush. That was much better, but I still have brush marks in some places, and it didn’t really remove all of the texture from the roller coats.

Should TotalProtect be super thin to lay down smooth? Or did I perhaps over-thin? It’s now hard as a rock and doesn’t sand particularly well.

Id like my hull to be smooth if I can, but at this point I’m ready to give up and leave it bumpy.

To the last question, how long between when you applied it and when you sanded?

As for the other questions, I'd call the JD Tech Team and ask them about it, and let us know what they said.

To the last question, there's always 80 grit.

TotalProtect is a High Build primer, meaning more solids to sand. TotalBoat also sells a 2 Part Epoxy Surfacing Primer, we used it and it flattened out just fine.

I’ve found most paint systems call for too little thinner. This is especially true in hot dry weather and sun. 10% called for on our bottom paint. In Trinidad we do 30% and roll.

If you can spray your top coat the results will probably improve.

Back