Torquing

L'Angostino

Hi everyone, I´m new and I joined this forum because I have some doubts I would like to be answered; I´ve been racing Lasers for 4 years and now I´m working on my upwind technique, I would like to know how to torque correctly, I´ve tried to steer only with my weight but its not as effective as it could be, so anyone has any ideas???:confused:

The back and forth body movement helps, but you still have to use your tiller and sheet in and out on the sheet. It's best to torque though big, nasty wave sets. If you try doing it for an extended period of time you could get a yellow flag for violating rule 42.

A little more info. When a wave is coming to you you want to trim in on the sheet and drive up, (head up on) the front of the wave. The torque motion is to lean forward at this moment as well. As the wave moves under your boat and gets to about the center board you want to drive down, (or head off on) the back side of the wave. You ease your main sheet out at this time and the torque motion is to throw your body weight aft. The torque motion is only in your upper body. Your position in the hiking strap and the position of your butt on the rail does not change.

So, tiller movement, upper body movement back and forth and trim/ease on the sheet.

Ah...Ok, thank you very much, I find all that information quite useful, however I still have one doubt..At the very moment of the torque, what should I do with the tiller movements? Just slightly steer or give strong tiller movements with the appropiate torque?

All the movements depends on the size of the waves and wind. You'll know by the feel of the boat.

Back