"Topping Lift"

woodbark

I would greatly appreciate some information on routing a topping lift, can't seem to find a diagram anywhere!
Thanks!
George_hull#4042

Very simple, attach one end to the top of the mast and the other end to the end of the boom. The end that attaches to the end of the boom must be removed and attached to the base of the mast when sailing. I skip all that with a Boomkicker.

Thanks Greg, the "boomkicker" seems like the way to go. Normally I'd be heading for the workshop to make this implement but no time for that kind of stuff anymore, sailing is a lot more fun. It should be available here in Ontario, I'll be checking into that next week.

For the time being the "topping lift" will have to do, didn't realize it was that simple, although I do have a tendency to complicate things and get too fancy; I'll try and keep this simple.:)

Topping Lift

What is a "Boomkicker"? I am considering putting a topping lift on a new boat as in my experience with other boats it helps when dropping the main and supporting the boat cover when the boat is moored on the dock. Is it commonly done on C14-2's?
Peter

Hi Peter, a Boomkicker is exactly what the name implies, it kicks up the boom while the Boomvang pulls it down. I am still using the Topping lift I installed a while back, has'nt been a bother and works really well. Thanks to Greg Coats!

Topping Lift

Thanks, George but at the risk of seeming dense I still don't understand what a "Boomkicker" is. I am familiar with a boom crotch, usually a wooden stand on larger boats that supports the boom when the sails are furled but am not sure that's what you mean.
I noted an earlier posting on topping lifts that said the topping lift halyard was removed from the end of the boom and secured to the mast once the main was raised. My experience with topping lifts albeit on cruising boats has been just to slack it off once the main is up. What do you do with yours?
Peter

Topping Lift

Thanks. That helps as I have never seen one. What is the preferred way to rig a topping lift on a C14.2? Fixed at the top of the mast or fixed at the end of the boom? I can see pluses and minuses with either one.
Peter

interesting I never knew about this bit of sail control it really is a missing piece though. I think I will rig one of these (topping lift). Great thread, thanks!

Adjustable Topping Lift

Hi all --

A topping lift can always be fitted with a snap or carabiner at the boom end so that it could be removed and then fastened to the mast out of the way. Not a bad idea since it will likely be contacting the sailcloth even when let out.

An adjustable lift led through a pulley atop the mast and then cleated at mast base offers a couple of small advantages over the fixed type: It can hold the boom way up if you might desire while fishing or swimming, and it can be used to slightly raise the boom and put a bit more curve into the main for better shape if the winds are very light.

I did this once while ghosting along in fluky winds below 3 knots and might have experienced some gain in efficiency, but the improvement was so slight as to be subjective.

jim / so. fla. / 1857

I need to use mine to keep the boom up while using a reefed sail. The main fully up does contact the line, so that is when I slack the topping lift, but the sail holds the boom up nicely when fully raised. I used a piece of kite line given to my by a pro. kiteboarding amigo.

I like the book kicker, but just curious..since the kicker would interfere with my sail cover (meaning another expense)
We does the topping lift need to be at the top of the mast? If its mounted on the side high enough up so that you have a good angle, it could be secured easily (to a side cleat on the mast) and installed without stepping a mast.

Any reason NOT to do it this way? Would save line and time, no?

well I stepped the mast...its rather easy to do even in water and mounted a spare 3/16" line I had at the top and now have my topping lift.

That said, the only reason I didn't make a homemade Boomkicker was that to do it right I wanted to properly shape a piece of aluminum to attach the the boom and fabricate a bracket to go into the slot on the mast.

I still plan on doing this, but machining will take a bit of time. Then I'll use 3/4" PCV as the kicker part.

If anyone is interested in having the two machined aluminum pieces made for them when I do mine, send me a private message and I'll do a group buy of them.

Very simple, attach one end to the top of the mast and the other end to the end of the boom. The end that attaches to the end of the boom must be removed and attached to the base of the mast when sailing. I skip all that with a Boomkicker.

does the Boomkicker really hold up the boom, even while the boat is on the mooring?

does the Boomkicker really hold up the boom, even while the boat is on the mooring?

According to the pictures it does and they have been around a while. I'm working on making one myself, but in the meantime, I just used a topping lift line.

should I oversize the boomkicker just to be sure? I have a keel version 14.2 and it sits on a mooring all week long. I like everything nice and tight to prevent wear and tear.

My 14.2, which I purchased used, came with a topping lift. There's a pulley at the end of the boom and a cleat partway down the boom. It works really well. I leave the line somewhat loose when the sail is up.

The line to the top of the mast is also useful when rigging the boat - I use it to help lift the mast and then I tie it down (or have an assistant hold it) while I attach the furling jib. This greatly facilitates single person rigging.

I tried a boomkicker, but didn't like it and returned it. The primary reason is that, on windy days it's nice to be able to drop the boom all the way down into the boat when lowering the sail, and it's easier to do that with the topping lift than with the boomkicker.

Back