Topping lift.....?

Jimbot

I'm going to add a toping lift to my 14.2 and was considering a few things. First, does anyone know the best place to mount the block? I was going to put the block as close to the top of the masthead as possible and copy the Jib halyard. Second, I was going to tie a knot in the line to sort of set up a "preset" sail down position for the boom. Like it? Hate it? Any input will be appreciated.

Jim

I agree with edsandra . I think a boomkicker is the way to go. It holds up the boom without having a topping lift to adjust and more lines to deal with. :)

I have a topping lift. The extra line is really no problem - I leave it connected all the time. The line goes from a pedeye hear the top of the mast to the padeye at the end of the boom where the outhaul block is attached. The line is fixed at the top of the mast (directly tied to the padeye) and is attached to the end of the boom via a clasp so it is easy to take off as desired.

It works very well for me.

Jim,

Yes, it does. I actually have it set with a bit of slack when the sail is pulled fully up. When the sail is taken down, the boom drops slightly until the topping lift takes over.

I like the setup.

However, I'm planning to put reef points in the main. I'm not sure how well this will work when the main is reefed, but Im thinking it will work just fine.

Topping lift

I bet you won't have any problems with your reef points, i bet you would probably clear your topping lift even better reefed. I think I'm still going to go with the block at the mast headand run a line down, so I can adjust it. It would probably add a nice place to fly my jolly roger from as well! ;)

Jim

Success!!!

Added a topping lift to my boat last week. I used a small block a about a foot from the mast head, a padeye at the boom end, and since I don't have a cuningham on my boat I used the jamcleat for for it. The line was cheep since it only needs to hold up the boom. Total project cost was $15, and only took about 25 minutes to do. Hope this helps some one. I looket at the boom kickers and they are really cool, but I just couldn't beat the price of the line.

My boat came with the Boom Kicker and I am happy with it- simple setup, no extralines etc... However, I do have one problem. The flexible "fibergass" support rods are fraying. By this I mean that they are hairy looking. I believe that at least twice that I have brushed against them and my skin became irratated.

I know that the previous owner stored the boat on the water with the mast up and without cover. This leads me to conclude that the sun is to blame for the fraying.

I have thought of covering them with flexible wire "organizer". I know there must be a technical term for this. Basically it is a tube with a slit to allow you to slip it over wiring to keep things neat and tidy.

Has anyone experiences this issue. Thoughts about my plan or others to "cover it up"?

Thanks, Art

They make a very large shrink tubing that you heat with a hair drier and shrink and would fit around both rods. Just a thought.

I just got a Boomkicker through SailNet on sail for under $60. As for the fraying fiberglass, I'd go to the Boomkicker website and e-mail them for advice.

Back