Topping Lift Anyone?

sammy sails

I would like to be able to lower the sail but have the boom/spar remain off the deck.

I've read a few posts online where folks said they installed topping lifts on their sunfish, but they didn't describe much or post a picture of the end result. I understand the general idea of how the rigging, but can anyone here tell me about their experience installing a topping lift on their sunfish and then end product?

I've thought about how I can raise the bottom spar up to the top spar to keep it all completely out of the way, but I'd rather keep the center of gravity lower.

I think I would make a few ties to keep the top spar secured onto the lower one and wrap up the sail.

I've also read about boomkickers, but I haven't found one that would work well with a Sunfish, and I am trying to avoid screw holes into the spars/mast.

Please let me know your experience, thoughts, and post a picture if you have a topping lift on your SF please! Thank you.

Seems over complicated. But, you could run a cord through the eye at the mast head, and tie one end to the boom gooseneck and the other end to the eye in the end cap of the lower boom. Lower the upper boom down and tie a few reefing lines around both booms and the sail to contain things. Sheet in the main sheet to hold things tight.

Reactions: tag
Seems over complicated. But, you could run a cord through the eye at the mast head, and tie one end to the boom gooseneck and the other end to the eye in the end cap of the lower boom. Lower the upper boom down and tie a few reefing lines around both booms and the sail to contain things. Sheet in the main sheet to hold things tight.

That's actually a nice simple idea. Thanks so much.

Back