Tool to help with Rudder Springs

shorefun

I am breaking down rudders for repairs and wood painting.

I realized I was doing springs the hard way. There are these nice hooks used to the pull the dashs out of Mercedes. That right, no screws the dash is held in by tension.

Anyway they have these real stiff wires with handles. I could grab the spring and pull it off easily.

Honestly, they are a very functional tool for many things. My brother is a Mercedes mechainic and he uses them many things. He keeps them each of boxes.

we use spring pullers on headers on slip on systems for motorcuycles. similar to that but i think more substantial. the hook lets you get under the pintle between it and the spring.

motion pro part number 08-0127

nothing goes flying and easy to reinstall. used on my rudder today.

I am breaking down rudders for repairs and wood painting.

I realized I was doing springs the hard way. There are these nice hooks used to the pull the dashs out of Mercedes. That right, no screws the dash is held in by tension.

Anyway they have these real stiff wires with handles. I could grab the spring and pull it off easily.

Honestly, they are a very functional tool for many things. My brother is a Mercedes mechainic and he uses them many things. He keeps them each of boxes.

Very cool. :cool:

I've got a kit with five "pullers" like those, but too big for Sunfish rudder springs.

They're coat hanger-sized, and hardened steel. They're designed to pull dents from car fenders--but I'd like to have a skinny version for "Sunfish purposes". :)

BTW: Why are motorcycle exhaust pipes secured with springs? Access? Remove baffles for maximum noise? :rolleyes:

That motor cycle spring tool looks handy to have around too.

I like tools.
I have tool problem.
I have a lot of tools in fact I think I might need another toolbox as all mine are full again.
Is it bad when you go to a repair shop and you have more tools the then 2 of the guys in the shop?

(I have to add my family has been doing car restoration for decades and I have gone to a lot of flea markets and garage sales. What are you supposed to do when there is pile of snap on tools for $.25 ea????)

Reactions: tag

Back