Too light for a Full Rig??

BarePoles

Today I attempted to get out and race in steady 15 kts gusting to 26 kts, but found that at 140lb (when wet), I couldn't even keep the boat upright and didn't even dare put others in danger and attempt to race.

Granted I did have some of the best rides of my life, but the constant wipe-outs were incredible, some where pretty violent, the back flip off the windward rail comes to mind.

So, my question is, am I wasting my time racing a Full Rig or is it about technique and practice? There are smaller people racing fulls, but I just can't seem to make it work. Any advice?

You pretty much answered your own question. It's all about techinque and time in the boat in the conditions that are giving you problems. Obviously fitness will play a role too.

For the technique side, if you haven't watched the Rooster Boat Whisperer DVD's (Upwind and Downwind) you might consider starting with those.

Having said that, there is a difference between being able to sail in overpowering conditions vs being competitive in overpowering conditions - @ 140, you should be able to sail in those conditions, but if the goal is to be competitive, then the Radial is the better choice.

I am 5' 10"

The DVD's sound good, I'll check those out. I'd like to be competitive in the sense that I can go out in a breeze and be able to sail with the fleet. As it is now I can make it around the course without issues when it is breezy.

I stayed out yesterday for a couple of hours and really feel like I figured a few things out. The was really only my second time to be out in a Laser in a breeze and so it was very much a learning experience.

Do people every use the Radial as a 'learner' when the breeze is up until they are comfortable with technique and ability?

The height helps, and yeah, many use the Radial as a learner. I'm still doing it sometimes, and I weigh 155 (but am only 5'6"--not as much righting moment). I am getting better at sailing in breeze and believe that it is a matter of experience and technique. I've seen the light guys sail in it just fine.

At 140lbs you are too light for a full rig. Stick with the radial, you'll be much more competitive and get a lot more enjoyment out of it (and its just not that much slower than a full rig when sailed well). I'm shorter than you but slightly heavier and ONLY sail radial.

Thanks for the info here. Per the advice here I'm gonna stick with the Full rig on the light to moderate days and then sail Radial on the days when it is breezy. Hopefully I can built the skills and then be able to handle the Full on breezy days.

Like I said, I'm still very new to the laser but already love the boat!

I weigh 130#'s and last Saturday raced a full rig in 18-25. I beat some guys and got beat by more.
On Sunday I raced a Radial in 20 gusting to 30. I beat some guys and got beat by more.

My first couple years racing lasers I felt it was my weight, not my technique holding me back. Now as I've done this for a while, I think its more about my technique and less about my weight.

My advise to you is to sail whatever rig your comfortable in, given the current conditions. But if you want to be competitive, you have to spend lots and lots of time in the boat in all conditions.

Howard

Howard, Thanks for the thoughts!

I have ALOT of learning to do, but I think it'll pay off in the end. I'm not looking to compete at the Olympic level, I just want to be able to race competitively in all wind conditions and be able to compete in regattas without hesitantly looking at wind forecasts.

So practice I will.

BP

Just curious, what is the competitive weight for a Full Rig? I'm 169lbs and 5' 10", should I stick with the Full Rig in all conditions?

Steve

Just curious, what is the competitive weight for a Full Rig? I'm 169lbs and 5' 10", should I stick with the Full Rig in all conditions?

Steve

I would say you are about right. I am around 180lb so a bit heavy but at club level technique will pretty much make up for weight. Work on getting the boat planing as early as possible offwind (without breaching rule 42) and keep it smooth upwind.

How old are you?
Are you done growing?
I am 14 and 155 lbs (when wet) and I started laser sailing about 14 months ago.
Then I was about 130 (when wet).
I bought my boat only with a full rig and keep sailing it with that.
It was hard but what I found that helped was to just point higher and just let the luff of the sail luff a bit.
It still requires a lot of hiking but so long as you just get into clear air (in races) and practice in heavy air a lot then you should learn pretty quickly.
-Connor

Thanks for the input. I don't feel overpowered. I guess, I just don't know enough about laser sailing yet, to know what's effective and ineffective. Like keeping the boat flat in light air...it sure feels better with some heel in the boat. I'm 26, so I'll probably not be getting any taller, however I could gain some pounds from hitting the gym.

When I weighed 140 lbs they were not going to design the Laser for another five years. We sailed Snipes with three or four of us and usually kept up with the big guys pretty well. I have the trophies to prove it. .
When we wanted to race seriously we got in our Optimists and had it out among folks our own size.

Back